1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

gas issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 PM
iicon3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas issue

ok i posted in the past that i was getting lousy gas milage.done the tune up,allignment,changed the air filter and cleaned the throttle body with the censors. well one thing i came across and im hoping you can tell me whats the issue im having.i only have bad gas milage when i reach 1/4 tank of gas or less.i filled it up and watched the needle every mile.every 1/8 of gas i was getting exactly 30 miles until i reached the 1/4 of the tank mark then i was only getting 10 to 15 miles to every 1/8 until empty.then filled it up again and the same exact thing.so now i just keep the tank full and when i fall to the 1/2 mark i fill it up and i dont have any problems.anyone know what could be the issue?? fyi 98 d 5.2 4x4

thanks!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:20 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you cant use the gas gauge to check your mpgs you need to fill the tank and reset the trip meter, run it down, fill it again and divide the miles ont he trip meter by the gallons you put in the tank, that is your mpgs

these gas gauges move every time you turn the key off and back on (ok maybe not, but they are REALLY inaccurate) so run a couple tanks and let us know what kind of mpgs you are getting

with your truck i would guess maybe 13-15 mpg city (depending on how much lead is in your right foor) and up to 18 on the highway (again dependent upon the weight of your right foot)

HTH, shrps

Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 AM
SumAmerican
Professional

I've got the 99 5.2 and my gas gauge is pretty much the same.. It holds onto the top section a lot more then the bottom.. Half tank on the gauge really ends up being around a quarter tank in the gas tank.. If your counting mpgs then you really need to run the tank down and count it "tank by tank" by how many gallons you put in and how many gallons passed on the trip odometer. If not they sell gauges you can add on to monitor your fuel burn.. I'm sure they could be some work to install tho..

Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 PM
iicon3

yea i did reset the trip meter and i get in average of over 30 miles every 1/8.but once i get to the 1/4 of the tank its like water 10 to 12 miles the remaining 1/8 th of the tank.

before when i was only putting in 20 bucks i was only getting 11 miles to the gallon of igas. which was horrible compared to what i was getting before.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

run a full tank thru the truck following the procedure i outlined above, and let us know what kind of mpg results you are getting

you CAN NOT check how many miles you go based on how far the gauge moves, it just doesnt work with these gauges especially considering that afte ryou drive and shut the car off, when you turn it on the gauge has moved!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: gas issue