1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default need some answers

ok well the front brake lines on my truck are gone (the calipers arent releasing correctly and there are no visible problems, the calipers rectract fine on their own the only thing we can think of is the factory brake lines) now we ordered the parts, and next time i go home we will be replacing them, my question is this, are there any washer seals involved with replacing them (we are just doing the rubber portion that runs out the a-arm to the caliper) and if so do you know what size they are?

thanks in advance

Old 10-15-2009, 11:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The pads can stick on the control arm slide points. Right where each pad arm slides on each side of the control arm. Make sure there is no groves worn into the control arm from this action. This mainly happens because when you hit the brakes the pads slam forward with such force that it pushes groves into this region. The groves then don't allow the brake pads to return their positions causing cracking pads in it's wake. After a while, you have to replace the control arms because you can only grind off so much so be careful.

Grind off any groves and replace the pads with new ones including making sure you lubricate this area with the proper grease. We just had a user with this exact problem and we got it fixed!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
The pads can stick on the control arm slide points. Right where each pad arm slides on each side of the control arm. Make sure there is no groves worn into the control arm from this action. This mainly happens because when you hit the brakes the pads slam forward with such force that it pushes groves into this region. The groves then don't allow the brake pads to return their positions causing cracking pads in it's wake. After a while, you have to replace the control arms because you can only grind off so much so be careful.

Grind off any groves and replace the pads with new ones including making sure you lubricate this area with the proper grease. We just had a user with this exact problem and we got it fixed!
yes hydra we are aware of that possibility and like i said in my origional post we determined that there are not grooves worn into the arms, and the pads are sliding smoothly, we put some grease on all moving parts that needed it and the problem is still there, we are pretty sure its the brake lines just need to know if there is a rubber washer that seals the flexible section going out the a-arm to the caliper and the hard lines going back to the booster of not

as i said we have done all the normal trouble shooting steps (and being on only the 3rd set of brake pads int he life of the truck w/ almost 90k on them, there hasnt been much in the way of pad travel to form deep grooves, and nothing that is catching the pads[and we only replaced the last set bc we got a defective set which the clips holding them to the caliper rusted off in like a year these pads have about 5k miles on them, they will be reused after we put the new lines in i just need to know if there is a washer to replace or not])

thanks

Old 10-16-2009, 08:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I believe on the caliper there is a brass type washer that seals the block line to the caliper (between them). On the line side it only tightens up with a flare type fitting.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

thanks alot man,

and im sorry if i came across as a little snippy in my last post, i wasnt trying to be i swear (i just re-read it and realized how it came across to me)

Old 10-17-2009, 11:10 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Your good!

Quick Reply: need some answers