1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Which exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:44 PM
zippplok
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes rear mounted it was on stacy davids gears they put it on a new corvette but cool guy

Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
A turbo is rear mounted? .....
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

No, I want a supercharger!......
Rear mount turbos have been around for a while and are quite effective. I've been gathering parts to put a turbo under my bed, you can have the SC, I'll have my gas mileage and less parasitic loss.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Either or........LOL

The thing with turbos is there is a lot of effectiveness like your saying. Dollar for dollar, I think the turbo is the best way to go like your saying. There is a lot less things that go wrong.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am curious on the turbo lag time as the turbo is rear mounted, it has to push alot of air over a long length tube almost equalling the length of the truck. Turbo would have to work harder to push the air over a long tube run.

Also, what would happen to the turbo in terms of pulling air from the rear for the folks that loves to go out and play in the outdoors especially when getting into mud and high water, etc....

Old 11-03-2009, 12:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You mount it in the middle AKA.....where the muffler is. This way you get the best advantages. Also I think it would be better to re-map the exhaust leading out either before the wheels or out the back. Either way you need to ensure that it dumps quickly and less constrictive path. Regardless, it's inside it's own shell and directly mounted in the pipe so as long as you find it a fast way out I don't think mud is really going to affect it.

I would like to find that distributor that was selling those rear mounded kits again.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recomend STS, generally where most get em.

Turbo lag- With the turbo located in the rear of the vehicle, is there turbo lag?
No, due to extensive engineering and proper sizing of the turbos and piping, the turbochargers operate very well at this remote location. All of our systems will produce full boost below 3000 rpm. If you were to take a front-mount turbo system and place it at the rear, you would have lag issues, and similarly, our turbo system wouldn't work properly if front-mounted. Also, our intake tubing volume is about the same as most conventional turbo setups that are running a front-mounted intercooler, and is less than many of them that run large intercoolers. Our system is not like a small compressor filling up a large air tank, it is like a huge compressor filling up a very small volume. Our systems compress the intake tubing in about .05 seconds. If our patented and innovative rear-mounted technolgy had problems with turbo lag, we would not have the large number of happy customers that we have today. Please visit our Testimonials page for more insight.
Benefits of STS Remote-Mounted Turbochargers

Lower underhood temperatures. No need to worry about melting wires, hoses, or other engine components, as with a front-mounted turbo.

Ease of installation. STS turbo systems can be installed in about 8 hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability.

Cooler oil to the turbo. Cool oil is better for both the turbo and engine.

Performance Sound. The turbo acts as a muffler and sounds like an aftermarket performance muffler. Turbo spool and rushing air from the blow-off valve make a unique sound that will turn heads!

No need for major modifications to your vehicle. STS systems are designed to "bolt-on" to factory mounts.

Increased gas mileage. Unlike a belt driven supercharger, the turbo utilizes "wasted" energy leaving your tailpipe. Most of our customers get 1-3 mpg increase in gas mileage compared to their original stock mpg numbers.

Converts back to stock in about an hour.

More room under the hood. Future repair work or modifications will not require the expense of removing the turbo system to allow access to engine components.

Lowest Intake Air Temps. Low IAT's equate to more horsepower per pound of boost than any other forced induction option. STS intake piping provides built-in intercooling. Add the optional intercooler, and IAT's drop even further.

Approximately 500F lower turbo temperatures. Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer, which allows the engine to run after the car is shut off in order to cool down the turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage.

Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently.

Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components.

No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.

Turbo is closer to the tail pipe outlet. Provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine.

Better weight transfer. Increases traction because the bulk of system is mounted in rear of vehicle rather than up front.

Less noise and heat in the passenger compartment.

http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems

Last edited by Duranged408; 11-03-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:38 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

how much do those run? and do they make one for the 4.7?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Wh1T3_W45P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally love my universal STS turbo, It gets the job done. Well worth the money I spent on it. You don't very often see or hear a 1st gen D, with a turbo and turbo wine on it hahaha. Yes They do have them for the 4.7, thats how I got mine.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
how much do those run? and do they make one for the 4.7?
They dont make a bolt on, you'd have to get a universal and their prices are dirt cheap.. The thing that'll cost you a lil more is the computer tuning/dyno time but i think its well worth it even at low psi

Quick Reply: Which exhaust??