1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

... Head Gasket job... parts list? and a shop to rebuild the heads...

Old 11-06-2009, 01:07 PM
WestCoastKevin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ... Head Gasket job... parts list? and a shop to rebuild the heads...

Hello,
I have a 2002 durango, SLT+, 4.7, 4x4, with 60,000 miles on the clock. It overheats.
I seem to have a combustion chamber compression leak to the cooling system that leads to overheating. I need to pull the heads and at least replace the headgaskets. Already been through the Waterpump and T-Stat some time ago.

I have a few questions.
I am looking for a shop in Eastern North Carolina to rebuild the heads/check them for cracks etc. I am in Morehead City but can go to Raleigh if need be. Better still if they know this head as I understand there is very tight tolerance for flatness on it.

I need a parts list for the job. I know I will need a top end gasket kit and head studs.
Is there anything else I need.

Are there any special tools I need for the job? I know there is a special tool for the harmoic balancer. I do not have it. Do I need it?

I want to make a parts list and tool list int he next few days if at all possible.

Thanks for reading.
Kevin

Last edited by WestCoastKevin; 11-06-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't have a 4.7L but I'll try to answer your question.

BEFORE tear down make sure the #1 cylinder is on TDC on COMPRESSION stroke.

The hermonic balancer is located on the crank of the motor not on the top side. I don't think you need to take it off to get the timing chain covers off but you might. If this happens then you need a gear puller and undo the torque on the bolt in the center before anything to help hold the balancer while your cranking on it.

You need new head bolts and if you have more than 100K on the motor you might want to think about installing new timing gears and chains set. Note the markings on the set as you need to ensure that everything is lined up (as for the TDC talked about earlyer in this post ^ ) before you disassemble your chains and gears. During install you will put them back in the correct order. If the timing marks are not lined then you were on exhaust stroke and you need to turn the motor to TDC compression stroke to ensure the timing marks are lined up BEFORE dissassembleing the top end.

You can have the heads R&R'ed then reinstall but this would be the time to get a little porting done on the heads. Port & polish them if you can.

Make sure you get REALLY good head gaskets for install like Mopar Performance (from the dealer) or Fel-pro PermaTorque.

As with anything, if you don't know how to do it then leave it to the mechanics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ... Head Gasket job... parts list? and a shop to rebuild the heads...