1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear Axel Speed Sensor / Rear ABS Sensor DIY

Old 08-26-2012, 12:33 PM
birchy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any of you had the sensor break off on you while trying to remove it? I was trying to do this on a friends Durango yesterday and the damn thing broke flush with the differential! I managed to get the inside "magnet" piece out, but the plastic sheath is still stuck in the hole and I plan on having another go at it this morning...

Any tips or suggestions? Does anyone know of some sort of tool that is like a small screwdriver, but with a metal "L" hook at the end? I'm sure i've seen something like that before somewhere.. but I can't remember where. That might work.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:09 PM
birchy
Rookie

Alright.. so I found a set of "picks" in Walmart today that had the L hook I was looking for. Worked like a charm! Amazing how much easier things are when you have the right tools! I was fighting with it for an hour yesterday and it took me 30 seconds this morning..

Unfortunately.. the ABS and Brake lights are still on after taking a ~15 minute drive around the neighbourhood. Disappointed.. I was really hoping that would fix it.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:54 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by birchy
Alright.. so I found a set of "picks" in Walmart today that had the L hook I was looking for. Worked like a charm! Amazing how much easier things are when you have the right tools! I was fighting with it for an hour yesterday and it took me 30 seconds this morning..

Unfortunately.. the ABS and Brake lights are still on after taking a ~15 minute drive around the neighbourhood. Disappointed.. I was really hoping that would fix it.
Did you reset the computer?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 08-26-2012, 03:57 PM
birchy
Rookie

Originally Posted by srch4me
Did you reset the computer?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android
I don't have a way too unfortunately.. after reading through the threads I was under the impression the lights would go off as soon as I started driving pretty much. Is that not the case?

Old 08-26-2012, 05:38 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sometimes it is not the case,

if you are capable of replacing your battery you are capable of resetting the PCM, just disconnect the battery and hold the key to start for 30 seconds (while the battery negative post is removed) then put the neg terminal back on.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 AM
birchy
Rookie

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
sometimes it is not the case,

if you are capable of replacing your battery you are capable of resetting the PCM, just disconnect the battery and hold the key to start for 30 seconds (while the battery negative post is removed) then put the neg terminal back on.
Cool, thanks.

"Start" as in.. turning the engine over? Or just the "ON" position?

Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 AM
DaveKDEN
Default ABS/park brake lights came back

Well, started having issues with the ABS and park brake lights coming on intermittently again (not too long after returning from my trip mentioned in my earlier post). Heard about a place that "re-builds" ABS modules (and other types as well). Modules masters in Moscow, ID:
http://modulemaster.com/en/index.php
Sent my ABS module to them about a month ago. Took a total of 1 week including shipping to get it back. Works like new now. Wish I would have known about them before. Would have saved me much angst. If you've tried everything else (and I would say try the rear speed sensor first) - give module masters a shot.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by birchy
Cool, thanks.

"Start" as in.. turning the engine over? Or just the "ON" position?
start as in all the way to turn the engine over, it obviously wont turn over but the idea is to provide a closed circuit to the starter motor to pull and residual energy out of the capacitors, completely denergizing the system as such resets the volatile memory where the codes are stored, Keep in mind the truck may run differently for a little bit after following this procedure since all the 'learned' data is also erased.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM
birchy
Rookie

That didn't work either, unfortunately. The lights come back on right away the next time I start it up, and stay on. I'm thinking maybe it's the other sensor on the transmission, but I really don't want to spend too much more time and effort on this thing.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:38 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the output sensor on the transmission is cheap and easy to change, costs around $20 and if you are even a little bit capable of turning a wrench will take you longer to walk into the store and pay for it than to install it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Axel Speed Sensor / Rear ABS Sensor DIY