1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 AM
dctaz37
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the output speed sensor( rip job at $60) and now the check engine light is off. It sounds like a hasstle to fix the 4wd light so I think I will live with no light and hope the wife doesn't leave it in 4wd. The ABS and pbrake is still on but I'm not sure how to get rid of it and don't want to spend too much money.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

try replacing the speed sensor on the rear differential, you could probably do this one yourself if you dont mind getting a little dirty and cold, but i think its a 50+ dollar part

Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dctaz37
Do you think it could be a wiring issue? The fuse box is badly corroded and about a year ago the transmission would not go into overdrive and felt like it was starting out of 2nd or third gear. I removed the trans fuse, cleaned it up and it has been ok until now. I also have abs problems that are not resolved. Here is the post: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...1597-help.html
As you read I tried changing the rear speed sensor with no luck. My 4WD light also does not work.

Thanks for your help.
He tried that sensor already.

You might need to take it in to have the ABS read? The only other sensor I know is in the transmission and I'm not even too sure about that???????

Old 01-09-2010, 09:13 AM
dctaz37
Professional

Is there a chance that when I replaced the abs sensor that I didn't give it enough time. I reset the errors(abd and pbrake light) but then they came back on, that is when I returned it to the store. When I changed the output sensor, I took the negative post off the battery and turned the key on for 30 seconds and the engine light didn't go off. It took over 4 tries to reset the check engine light with my odb reader. I have an odb reader that hooks to my laptop and it uses a driver to convert the com port to USB because the laptop doesn't have any com ports. I know this driver is a little flakey so I assumed that is why the engine light wouldn't reset right away. I sure am glad I don't do this stuff for a living, very frustrating.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You are not resetting correctly the PCM correctly. I started having problems with those same directions so it was revised. Reset the PCM!

To reset your engine codes:

Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
Start but do not hit the throttle. Idle for about 10/15 seconds then turn off.
Restart the truck and drive as usual. It will take at least 12 starts and 48 miles to fully retune the computer. Hard Codes leave a shaddow for 40 full cold starts.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

hmmm after removing the battery and holding the key to start and putting the battery back on i do a start/stop cycle of 3-5 starts (let it idle down to a normal idle, then kill it and start over) and on the last start take her for a drive, seems to work pretty well for me even resets the trans so it will learn how my foot works faster

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 01-11-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
dctaz37
Professional

So are you saying that I should try replacing the Rear ABS Speed Sensor again? I had replaced the sensor at about 150k km and I had no problem resetting the error by disconnecting the negative post and turning the key for a few seconds. Now I have an OBD reader that resets the codes. Doesn't the odb tool reset codes properly? When the check engine light was on, I reset it with my OBD tool and it went out until I started driving and it detected the bad speed sensor again. I took the old sensor out and it had metal on the end so I cleaned it and tried it again just in case the metal was throwing off the sensor. It did the same thing. It wasn't until I put the new sensor in that I had problems resetting the check engine light.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the abs light usually cant be reset w/ an obd code reader(but disconnecting the power resets EVERYTHING), i think you need the DRBIII scan tool to reset that one, as well as read the transmission codes, and the metal on the sensor points me to a problem in your rear diff, there really shouldnt be any metal accumulating on the magnet in there . . .

Old 01-11-2010, 02:51 PM
dctaz37
Professional

The metal was on the output speed sensor on the tranny.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

ooops, my bad i misunderstood, but its still not good, makes me wonder what kind of shape your transmission is in? but start checking the electrical connections on all the sensors, if you have 4wabs hunt out the front wheel sensors and check the connections or replace them

Quick Reply: 98 Durango Transmission problem