1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New HVAC vent problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Sunwest
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HVAC vent problem

Hi all, I just purchased my first Durango, and as such I am new here to this forum. I have been a Grand Cherokee guy for the past ten or so years, but decided to switch to the Durango mainly because of the third row seating.

The specs, 2001 Durango, 111,000 Miles, 4.7L, Custom Magnaflow exhaust.

There are quite a few problems with this one. Most are small and I have no problems with, but I ran into a problem with the heating controls. The blower motor works excellent on all speeds. This rig is equipped with dual climate controls which surprisingly work great. It blows very hot on warm, and very cold on A/C.

The problem is that the output seems to be stuck om the dash vents, and will not cycle through to any other vents when I change the selection. To the best of my knowledge, usually when this system fails it only blows out of the defrost vents.

I am going to try to track down the vacuum lines, but I don't think it's a vacuum problem. If it was a vacuum problem it should revert back to defrost as default.

Anyways, I like the rig so far, very responsive and comfortable to drive. Any info on this would be great.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the first two things that could be causing your problem are as you said the vacum hoses (my first guess) and the second option would be the blend door jammed in a certain position, i would check both of those and then let us know what you find

btw, a haynes or chiltons manual will be your best friend

Old 12-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Sunwest

I have found that I have plenty of vacuum going through the firewall. when I pull the vacuum hose off of the firewall, a loud gush of air is heard. So I am lead to believe that the vacuum system is not at fault. When I turn the selector switch from floor to dash and so on..... I can hear a motor running and shutting off, sounds like it is moving something. I read a post, I can't remember if I read it here or on another site, about a lever that had fallen off and making the doors not move.

How can I inspect the blend doors for correct operation?

Old 12-08-2009, 10:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 Sharp!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunwest
Hi all, I just purchased my first Durango, and as such I am new here to this forum. I have been a Grand Cherokee guy for the past ten or so years, but decided to switch to the Durango
Interesting. The next 2011 Durango is to be based on the new 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The cycle of life, illustrated in automobiles.

IndyDurango

Old 12-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than ripping that dash apart you won't be able to check the door.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Sunwest

Ok, so it's not a blend door problem, as the blend door controls the heat or cold air flow. I can turn mine to cold and be froze out, or turn it to hot and be hotter than sin. The dual climate works great. I'm still trying to did up that post I read about the control arm from the output selector servo. Can't seem to find it.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM
revpete

Check to see if you hear any movement under the dash just to the right of the steering column when trying to change from def. to vent with the fan on low.
To If there is movement noise, then your problem is most likely there.
You will have to remove the lower panels, or covers on the dash. I only got this far myself with the same prob. on a 2002.
On the right side of the steering column, with covers off, look up and listen again to see where the movement is.
Message me if you have any more Q's.
I just posted reply on another post earlier. Hope it helps.

Quick Reply: New HVAC vent problem