1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Battery or Something else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:25 PM
benchwarmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Battery or Something else?

Less than a year ago now I replaced the battery in my 2000 4.7L Durango because it had most certainly died, wouldn't keep a charge.

With that bit of history, here's my question. Two weeks ago, on a Friday evening after that car sat most of the day, I went out to start it and initially it didn't start. I though the battery was dead, but after trying to turn it over a couple times it finally relented. So I was worried, but it was night so I figured I'd deal with it in the morning. In the morning, it started right up. Didn't have another problem with it. Thought it was a fluke. Until yesterday afternoon.

I drove to lunch from work, after eating, came back to the car and when I went to crank it, same thing as two weeks ago. It's not been starting properly. It will crank, but takes a couple tries. Almost invariably, the first turn of the key is next to nothing. Starts on second or third try. Unlike two weeks ago though, the problem has not self-corrected. It appears here to stay.

The battery gauge on the dash shows around 10 (a guess) when I turn the key. After starting it registers just above 14 (which is where it's always been). Is this just a bum battery? How do I tell?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Whens the last time you did a tune up and what spark plugs did you use?

Old 01-20-2010, 11:14 PM
benchwarmer

Sorry for the delayed response. I went on vacation for a few weeks, came back and the problem wasn't present (again). It's intermittent, however with the recent torrents of rain hitting sourthern cali, suddenly it's everyday (not sure if that's related, but sure as hell seems to be).

I think I've isolated the problem though. It seems to be the actual key ignition cylinder. When it's acting up, if I turn the key and it doesn't start, if I let it roll back (before getting to a resting position) and push forward again it starts every time. So, I'm guessing some connection in the steering console is getting worn out and I need a new lock cylnder (or whatever the actual ignition part of that is called).

Care to give me a thumbs up or down on this self diagnosis? I'll be taking it to the shop this weekend.

Last edited by benchwarmer; 01-20-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not exacly a thuimbs up but here's a clap!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds like a very likely possibility try and get one keyed to your existing key if you can, it would suck to need two different keys to unlock and start your truck

Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why alarms come with remote lock/unlock.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 AM
marias3

Having the same problem with my '00 Durango. Mine is a 5.2L...been wet and foggy for days here. Brand new battery installed Tuesday started with no probs Tuesday evening woke up Wednesday had to get a jump. But is doing exactly what Benchwarmer's is doing 2 or 3 crank and starts (with a little prayer)...What is going on?

Old 01-22-2010, 12:44 AM
benchwarmer

Same year as mine, just you've got a bigger engine. I can't imagine they made a different ignition system. Probably the same damn problem.

If I get it in the shop this weekend (and I probably have no choice), I'll let you know if my guess about this was correct.

Definitely not the battery or alternator. There's no indication that amperage is the problem. In fact there's no dimming of the lights or anything you'd usually see if it were. It's a connection issue. I'm pretty sure it's at the key in my case.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by benchwarmer
Same year as mine, just you've got a bigger engine. I can't imagine they made a different ignition system. Probably the same damn problem.

If I get it in the shop this weekend (and I probably have no choice), I'll let you know if my guess about this was correct.

Definitely not the battery or alternator. There's no indication that amperage is the problem. In fact there's no dimming of the lights or anything you'd usually see if it were. It's a connection issue. I'm pretty sure it's at the key in my case.
what engine do you have? im not sure if 2000 was the first year for the 4.7 or the last for the 5.2 but afaik they did not overlap so you must have a 5.2 then,

and even if they did overlap, the 5.2 and 4.7 do NOT share ignition systems (one is coil on plug w/ 8 coils and the other is a cap and wires)so what fixes one will likely not work on the other

Quick Reply: Battery or Something else?