1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Key Fob & Low Antifreeze Question for new Durango owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 PM
FordTrax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Key Fob & Low Antifreeze Question for new Durango owner

Okay, I got my new used 2002 Durango. I think I got a good deal less than 6K for a 2002 SXT 4x4 with 72K on it. However, it may have been a reposed at some point since I don;t have an orginal key and no key fob. However, it came with one. I was dealer maintained every 5K by a Dealer for the first 50K then was bought by someone else then went back to a finance company.

1.) It was about 24 ozs low on antifreeze so I put in the Prestone all purpose since I did not know what was in there. I don't smell any antifreeze at the exhaust and it is not missing so I hope it is not low because of a head gasket or head issue. Maybe it just had not be checked for a while. If there was an head gasket or head issue I understand that sometimes the heads can warp or pit on these and then you got to get a new head.

2.) Also, I would like to get a working key fob. Can I buy one on e-bay or is there a better source? How do I know if I am getting the right one for my 2002 Durango is there a Dodge part number that can be used? If so can someone provide the part number? Also, after I get it how do I get it programmed for my truck - and how much does that run?

I am going to replace the shocks and change the engine oil to Wolfshead Synthetic with a Mopar filter in the next week or two. Any other things I should do?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 12:56 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1. Could be that the coolant recovery bottle is cracked or they just didn't keep it full. With any head gasket issue you run into a possible head gasket or head replacement. If it sounds good and no miss and no other signs then you might have caught it!

2. You can get a key fob from ebay but you have to have the new fob flashed into your CTM and that requires a dealer for like $80. If you do this take both key FOB's in with you to get flashed in or you will lose the old serial number for the old FOB.

Quick Reply: 2002 Key Fob & Low Antifreeze Question for new Durango owner