1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'01 Durango dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

tranny/diffs just follow the dodge recommended schedule in your owners manual, on tranny shop vs dealer, i cant help you

brake upgrades are going to cost you for any significant improvement, but you can get cross-drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic break pads which will help out some, its about the best you can get w/o spending big $$$$$

for ball joints, go with moog, they are greasable and should last longer than than the stockers, be careful getting the old ones out that you dont knock your truck off the jackstands if you decide to use the sledgehammer technique to get em off

and for shocks, everyone will have a different opinion, but i recommend monroe reflex as long as you are staying on the roads with it and not offroading they are MORE than good enough

Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NW Redneck
How often should I have the tranny/diffs serviced? And would you reccomend sticking with a Dodge dealer or going to a tranny specialty shop? I've been reading quite a feew posts about having bad experiences with dealer service centers.

Any reccomendations about brake and/or suspension upgrades? I will need to do the front brakes soon so what should I look at for pads? Regular or one of the carbon/ceramics? If I go with the ceramic pads, do I need to upgrade the rotors?
Any thoughts on brands for shocks, ball joints etc?

Thanks again!
NWR, all VERY common questions asked alot. Learn to use the search functions.

IMHO, diffs get serviced each time the transmission does. Trans gets done at 24 months or 36k miles. All synthetic on all 3. Transfer case every other trans service.

Ceramics have an odd fade and can squeek on day 1. Semi-metallic is best. Duralast Gold rotors and pads are great for reg usage. I use carbon-kevlar and outside of a big brake setup, have the best out there. $1400 for mine, $2500 for big brakes, $200 for Duralast. You pick.

Shocks = www.bilstein.com/ If Bils are good enough for factory equip on the Viper powered Ram, Corvettes, BMWs and most performance cars, they are good enough for your Durango.

Learn to search!

IndyD

Quick Reply: '01 Durango dilemma