1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

00 4.7L D 4WD jumpy

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:22 PM
pcatkin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 00 4.7L D 4WD jumpy

Ok...I decided to put my 4.7L D in 4WD for the first time this winter. Didn't really need to, but the intersection was a little icy and didn't want to sit there and spend my wheels if I didn't need to. I put it in 4WD High but it didn't feel like it engaged all the way. It was real jumpy and seemed to me like it was engaging and disengaging about every second or so. Am I looking at a new transmission? I just hit 100K and was afraid of that. Any ideas?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i think you are probably fine, nothing wrong, im assuming you mean it was jumping and not wanting to turn through the intersection. This means that your 4wd is working as intended, the four wheel drive system locks the front an rear driveshafts together. when you turn this causes problems if you are on dry (or mostly dry) pavement as the front and rear wheels (and therefore the driveshafts) want to turn at different speeds, but having the 4wd engaged doesnt aallow them to turn at different speeds, thus generating axle bind as you go around corners. in order to relieve the axle bind the wheels hop/jump across the pavement which is what you have been feeling the "engaging disengaging every second), when you are driving forward in a straight line you shouldnt feel any difference in the way the truck handles unless you hit a low/no traction situation.

so to sum it up in case you dont feel like reading all of that, your four wheel drive is working as it is intended but you tried to use it in a situtaion where it wasnt needed creating axle bind and therefore wheelhop which is wha tyou ahve been feeling

Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 PM
pcatkin

I hope it was something simple. I wasn't turning I just kept going straight. Also, I have never had it act like this before. It has probably been about a year since it was ever put in 4WD because I had been in Afghanistan for awhile. Thought it seemed wierd because I had never had problems with it before.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I don't see a problem either. Besides, if your transmission is going out it will not affect the Transfer Case as they are mated but 2 different parts.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 AM
pcatkin

OK...I'll give it another shot tomorrow and see how it works. If I have any problems, I'll post them.

Quick Reply: 00 4.7L D 4WD jumpy