1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Can condensation in fog light blow bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Kidd_Funkadelic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can condensation in fog light blow bulbs?

I have a question- If a fog light has a bad seal and continually gets condensation in it, and I blow bulbs several times a year, would the condensation be to blame?

This has been going on for some time. The main reason I wonder is that when the bulb dies, it tends to look just fine with the exception of the filiment connection no longer being there. There's no bulb damage (like the blackness you see on a blown fuse, etc). In other words you'd have to really look up close at the bulb to see if it was any good or not. Or would this suggest another problem and the moisture in the fog housing is unrelated? Note the other side has never blown a bulb (and has no moisture).

Thanks for any insight! I'm sick of buying a new bulb every 4 months. But on the other hand I don't want to spend 40 bucks for a used fog light housing if that's not going to help me either...

KF

Old 02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Condensation will crack a hot bulb sometimes resulting in failure. You can seal up the crack with silicone and see if the housing is solidly attached to the frame. Vibrations can affect bulb life. OR... you can spend $40 and go to AZ and get a pair of replacment fog/driving lights. I think the dia. of the stock fog housing is 4 in. If you use the fogs this much. I'd look into aftermarket lights. JMHO.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kidd_Funkadelic
I have a question- If a fog light has a bad seal and continually gets condensation in it, and I blow bulbs several times a year, would the condensation be to blame?
Yes!

Clean out the condensation and check the O-ring or gasket on the plug to light seal point.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What bulb brand do you use? By you mentioning just coil degrading could just be a crappy type of bulb, try using a basic sylv halogen next time and make sure the connections are good and dont touch the bulb

Quick Reply: Can condensation in fog light blow bulbs?