1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Which motor is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM
ramroddriller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which motor is best?

I am currently in the market to buy a used Durango to haul my ever-growing family around with. I am leaning towards an 03 model with the 4.7 engine because of economy and reliability. Any advice?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

well the 4.7 is the newest, and the most economical (best mpgs) of the 3, the 5.9 has the most power/potential of them all, so if he is not going to be modding it i would look for an 03 with the 4.7 4x4 or not at your own discretion, if you get snow i would recommend it, any other options you would like?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
ramroddriller

Well, I've got 2 options on the go right now.

There's a 03 slt + with leather and dvd and basically everything you can possibly get on a D and the guy is asking $12000 (Canadian) and it has 112000 km (about 70k miles).

There 's another 03 slt that has no leather or dvd, but only has 65000 km (40k miles), and he's asking $13000.

I believe they both have the 4.7 engine. I guess I'll just have to see how impressed I am with all the features. I mean, you can just buy a $200 car dvd player from wal-mart if you really want one. I'm kinda leaning towards the low k truck.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

test drive them is all i can say. we have an 01 durango SLT with leather seats but it came with the 5.9 and r/t package always talked about putting a tow package on it and lifting it. 4.7's are gd what i ahve in my dak and it runs great.. ive pulled trucks out that gotten stuck with no problems. like i said test drive them makesure theyve had there recalls taken care of .... low mileage is usally a good thing

Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

definitely make sure to get a test drive, and see if they have maintenance records, if one of them has a complete documentation and drives good id lean that way, also get a carfax (IMO the leather seats are not worth it, not is the dvd entertainment system, but then i dont like leather or drive with young kids in my truck) check to see if the balljoint recall has been performed, if not its not a big deal, but make sure to get it done.

if all else is equal mechanically, i would go with the one with fewer miles on it just my .02

Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If that SLT+ is a 5.9L, get it. MANY more miles left in that Durango.

2003 is the way to go.

IndyDurango

Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

They both sound pretty good for the price, keep these points in mind.

1. The 70k mileage one has 30k worth of mileage that you wont be able to get back.

SLT + Leather is a plus, and if it has the seat heaters even better. DVD, nice but again you can get one at walmart, and the real winners of that game are the rear seat passengers.

SLT. That is my model, I have leather but I am so paranoid about ruining it I use neoprene Gortex seat covers on the front anyway.

Take both of them to independent mechanic for evaluation, not the ones the dealer recommends, but either your own personal mechanic that you trust or one that has a good local reputation.

Obviously a full search is in order but a specific area to watch for is Ball Joints, they should be fine with only 40 or 70 K but get a good once over on the lift, Brakes, rotors, pull tires, check exhaust, suspension, check for rust, powertain for leaks, engine for leaks, transfer cases and differentials, shocks, wires, loose connections, basically make sure the condition of the vehicle matches the odometer. A good mechanic should have no trouble with you accompanying them on the inspection, if you have a question ask. They should put it on a lift, remove tires to check brakes, cv boots, check radiator, hoses, engine bay for loose connections, good hoses, coolant, radiator, condenser, lines, etc..

If you do get it on a lift, check the EVAP canister and lines, thie is drivers side frame rail forward of the fuel tank. Check the hoses on the canister for dry-rot leaks, etc.. Obviously check every hose for leaks, but these are one of the more common ones to dry-rot and crack.

ALso Remember the 4.7 does not have wires, it has a coil pack so basically each cylinder has a coil which is tied to the PCM I believe.

Interior, check condition of seats, carpet, mats, mirrors, center console, check each switch out, mirrors, all directions, both sides, check a/c both the mode heater/temp lever, fan speed, radio, seat heaters on the SLT+ check cigarette lighters, glove box lights, overhead lights, instrument panel lights, turn signals, power seats...etc..

Exterior: General body condition, check for scratches, lights, turn signals, tires etc. Plan on spending a few hours, bring some coveralls, dont be afraid to get dirty, it is your vehicle and if there is a problem you might be able to work the price down. If they just put it on the lot most of the major stuff was probably taken care of before it went to the lot for sale but the one time you dont check it will burn you.

If the leather and DVD are not deal breakers and all other factors are equal then I would say the 40K mileage one but you are the final decision.

Listen to Indy, his 210K+++++ miles (Thats american miles) Speak volumes.

NOTE The 4.7 is not the most modified but you can still get engine mods like CAI kits, I have had pretty good luck with it and am happy. If you are towing then I recommend the 5.9 I for one still wish the 5.2/318 was available in 03

Good luck and send photos of whatever one you go with.

MAGIC84

Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 AM
ramroddriller

Wow, thanks guys. More information than I was hoping for!

They are both private deals. The first one (70k miles) is getting an inspection done as I type, and the second one (40k miles) was owned by an elderly man who passed away a year ago and his son inherited it, but already has 2 vehicles, so I'm thinking it would be a pretty safe bet. I'll post on in the future as to what we decided and what we bought.

Last edited by ramroddriller; 02-12-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:45 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Just don't forget that one of the engines doesn't have the best transmission behind it. lol

Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM
ramroddriller

which one are you referring to, great scott?

Quick Reply: Which motor is best?