1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

odd start? old battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:44 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd start? old battery?

ok usually my car starts fine with a lot of power. but sometimes it starts funny. example. I start the car up in the morning and its all good. I go to school i park the sucker and i come back in like 3 hours. I try and start it and it cranks and somewhat starts. The rpms are really low and slow to increase. feels and sounds sluggish and kind of feels like it wants to die, it might have even died once i dont remember. so i turn it off and re start it and it starts but a little sluggish. what might be the cause of this? I replaced the spark plugs like 1k ago. i did notice however that when the car is running the battery meter gauge is in the middle and where its supposed to be because of the alternator. but when the car has the key turned to the on position with the engine off the meter is a bit close to the bottom line. its not in the low zone but its getting close to the line that separates the normal area from the low area. Would a low battery cause my engine to start weak on occasion?

thanks.

and what are the symptons of a bad crank position sensor?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

a couple of things here, the battery meter is reading fine, with the engine not running it will read close to the low end of the normal has marks that is normal,

now, how old is your battery? and are all the connections clean? if the battery is more than 4 years old it might be worth the cost to just replace it, but make sure that all the terminals are clean before you do go that route

Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

mmm its probably around 4 years old. ill clean and check the terminals tomorrow. any other things that could cause these odd starts? do you think that loose connections or dirty connections would cause the engine to start up good sometimes and not so good other times? The starter always cranks hard and with power. just sometimes the engine has a hard time starting up.

it kind of seems that i only get this problem when the engines a little warm, like after ive driven it and let it sit for an hour or 2.

Last edited by mrwilliwizard; 02-16-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

try bliping the throttle a little bit when it bogs after starting, and see if that makes it go away (dont open it up all the way, just hit it real quick and let go) that will probably get it idling right, and if it does it after short trips it could be the battery hinting that its not happy bc you arent charging it up all the way when you drive it . . .

Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

yea maybe. we will see. i blipped the throttle last time it acted funny and it started idling fine. I cleaned the connections and terminals of the battery with a wire brush/ so far all is well. i do notice that when the cars off and im rolling up my window and i click on another window the window rolling up slows down. regardless im going to change my battery anyway soon.

thanks for your help though!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the speed dropping when running two window motors or more at once is normal, the battery/electrical system can only handle so much current at once and it is going to split that current between all the sources, less current = slower motor speeds, completely normal

Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

ok haha maybe im just starting to trip out lol.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try to clean your TB and especially concentrate on cleaning the IAC sensor.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

how would i clean that sensor? dip it in rubbing alcohol? i see that there is a thread for how to clean the throttle body and iac senor for the 5.2 and 5.9l engine. would it be pretty similar for the 4.7l?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya got SLUDGE, boy! LOL!

Quick Reply: odd start? old battery?