1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

NSS or VATS problem - I think....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:34 PM
hotrodkev
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NSS or VATS problem - I think....

Ok so I am working on a 2001 Durango. I was told by my friend that the ignition key wouldn't "work" sometimes. Meaning, when you put it in the ignition it wouldn't turn....similar to when the steering wheel is locked. Except, I can't even get the steering wheel to lock, so that isn't it. I went and purchased a new tumbler assuming it was an easy, but expensive fix. Well no luck. The tumbler worked sometimes and other times it acted exactly like the previous tumbler and would not allow the key to turn. I went and had a new key made, same results. When I insert the key, if I hear the (ding ding ding) sound it will let me turn the key. If I do not hear the sound the key will not turn. So, is there a neutral safety switch ot a VATS problem I am not seeing or thinking about here? This one is really stumping me...

Old 03-07-2010, 01:25 PM
hotrodkev

No thoughts?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you expected an answer in 12 hours?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are on here in our free time, no gaurantee that we will get on every day, or have an answer immediately, you need to give us some time to read it and think about it, if it were me i would start by lubricating all the moving parts in the steering column and check all the wire connections in there,

another thing is if you made the copy of the key off the key that was giving you problems you cannot rule out the key, whenever you make a copy it should be off an origional key which is NOT WORN DOWN (i always make a copy or two as soon as i get the car and keep ONE of the (usually) two origionals unused just in case i need to get another copy made down the road)

if you only have the worn down key you might have to take your vin to the dealer and have them get you a brand new key cut for your car

Old 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
hotrodkev

Easy there killer. I didn't expect anything, I was hoping for a solution or a suggestion and I do thank you for yours. I however have tried the penetration oil on the old and new tumbler as well the moving parts that work in conjunction with the tumbler on the steering column. I agree with what you had to say about the key, however I was told that the key that I made a copy of was only 6 months old or less. So, it's really not that worn down. That's why this one is really stumping me.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Unsure thoughts!

This sounds like a column issue and you need to lubricate the sliders.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 SS

Originally Posted by hotrodkev
I didn't expect anything
hotrod, yea you did or there wouldn't have been a "no thoughts" post.

Here ya go... take it to the Dealer for repair.

Quick Reply: NSS or VATS problem - I think....