1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1st Gen has best styling design

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:29 PM
KsK9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen has best styling design

Last summer I bought an 02 SLT which my wife kidnapped and now drives (go figure after 38 years of being together). I finally got around to putting some compound and polish to the paint (pretty thick stuff for OEM..but that's a good thing).

I detail exotics and used BMW's so this was pretty easy except I didn't get the roof (later on this Spring project).

Name:  durangoSysOne_Hood.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  DurangoSysOne_1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  86.1 KB

I used System One X3 which is a combo compound with wool and polish with foam. I like this for driveway work because it is easier than the 3M product I use at the dealer.

Finished it off with Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealant for some longevity and the fact that it's a daily driver.

Here's some of the paint corrections I do at the shop. I have the benefit of a Snap On table lift which make working on the lower portion easier.

Before
Name:  Black530iBumperBefore.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  32.9 KB

After
Name:  530iRearBumper106fa.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  29.7 KB

Here's a black Viper I did last year...used the same formula

Name:  Viper_SideView_Finished.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  Viper_Hood_X3foampad.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  77.1 KB

Black Ferrari Challenge Stradale (no lift and was a bear to do the lower portion)

Name:  360StradaleSideViewIndoors_Small.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  360CS_Finished_SunShot.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  79.1 KB

Enjoying this forum...you folks have been a big help looking for the solution to "Misfire #2"...got it fixed with a new injector.

KSK9

Old 03-13-2010, 09:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I got a truck you can do seeing how your done with that one!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:03 AM
KsK9

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I got a truck you can do seeing how your done with that one!
Sure!.....drive out here to the flatlands of Toto Land and we'll do it LOL. Heck, ProCharger's headquarters is here so you might want to stuff one of their units in the beast while you're waiting.

See Ya

Old 03-15-2010, 03:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I always wanted to see a dead witch!........

Old 03-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Khayman

That looks really nice! Looking to have my Durango done this summer, what should I look for in a good place to have this done? Are there any good national chains (US), and what kind of price should I expect? I live in Nebraska where we take a lot of beating from road salt/sand from the winters.

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:37 AM
KsK9

Originally Posted by Khayman
That looks really nice! Looking to have my Durango done this summer, what should I look for in a good place to have this done? Are there any good national chains (US), and what kind of price should I expect? I live in Nebraska where we take a lot of beating from road salt/sand from the winters.

Thanks!
I'd look for a private detailer (Craigslist is a decent source) and stay away from the national chains like Turtle Wax Centers, etc...they tend to employ the cheapest labor possible and use the cheapest products. They have a business model that is based on the number of cars detailed in a given day and will not do a good job. Do some shopping and GET REFERENCES...that is your best route. Contract detailers vary from basic "driveway" jobs to full shops. Nothing wrong with either and it will generally be less $$ to have the vehicle done at your location than take it to a shop. Pricing can go from $250 to $500/$600 depending upon what you want done. You might want to check some sites like Autopia.org and see if there are any detailers from Neb posting there. I think there are some Omaha/Lincoln folks posting.

Hope that helps. Again, a good detailer will happily provide references and examples. That's how his business grows.

KsK9

Quick Reply: 1st Gen has best styling design