1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Filthy Transmission Fluid Filter- 9K Miles on it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:01 PM
thomsonc
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filthy Transmission Fluid Filter- 9K Miles on it?

This is related to my new transmission rebuild- the story goes, when they dropped the pan, the fluid was pretty nasty and the filter looked awful. I told them, well that can't be because it was changed by the dealer less than 9,000 miles ago. They laughed at me and then showed me the filter, which they cracked open in front of me from its plastic case. It was horrifying. They believe it had never been replaced at all. Take a look at the photo and let me know what you think. Pretty bad?

I took photos of the whole procedure and "seized" the filter as evidence and went back to the dealer to demand a refund for services they did not perform. They refused to refund anything as they said they had indeed peformed the work. So I filed a complaint with the BBB. Again they denied any wrong doing, so then I shared with them the photo of the dirty filter they supposedly changed. Then they changed their minds.

We received a check in the mail reimbursing us for the transmission fluid filter change we had paid for. Interesting, they said that we were no longer welcomed to come back there. I laughed. Why would I even want to go back there and get ripped off again? Maybe I should post their letter to us too.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would at least post their name for others to avoid them.
Thief is a good word for them.

IndyDurango

Old 04-04-2010, 12:18 AM
thomsonc
Amateur

I found the letter the dealership sent us in regards to them telling us we could never bring our vehicle back there to be serviced (not like I would want to get ripped off again). Imagine- they rip us off, then tell us they don't want us to come by anymore. Maybe this is because I had threatened legal action against them, which I was dead set on. This is after we gave them over $34,000.00 of our business over 5 years. I plan on forwarding this to the Chrysler Regional Representative because they need to know this dealership is scamming people and their attitude in regards to customer service.

What do you think?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:15 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good riddance I say. That filter certainly didn't look "new".

IndyD

Old 04-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Trapstud
Professional

I agree that filter looked well used. I say go as high up as you can. No dealer wants bad publicity at times like these.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn dealerships!

They take your money and don't even do the work.....LOL....that's normal.....IMHO!

That filter doesn't look like it was ever touched as the fine particals are present on the surface (kinda looks like grease in the bag). Now the metal fragments could be because of an issue however I feel if they saw that they would tell you that you need to replace it for an extra $3500. I feel pretty confident that they never did the work you paid for.

Quick Reply: Filthy Transmission Fluid Filter- 9K Miles on it?