1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 durango broken rockers

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 PM
shtey47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 durango broken rockers

hello all members, my name is Ian, im a mechanic and i just brought a 2000 durango with the 4.7L this is the second durango the family has had, the first one was a nightmare. well the other day i brought a 2000 for cheap from a friend of mine,114k. it had a extreme top end tap, so he took it to the dealer and they said when they took the rightside valve cover off three rocker arms were broken. this happened during normal not hard driving. the dealer said the motor was trashed. most likely from lack of oil pressure. i checked the truck out. three rockers broken,and it has over 40psi oil pres on a very short start up. no oil in antifreeze, or vise versa, and oil had been changed 1000 miles prior by jify, even thought it looks to be 1 quart over. my question is what could of caused this, and i want to put it back together just by replacing the head, and other head gasket. other wise truck in really good condition. truck will start up and run, it thru a random misfire code. aproximately 1 min run time after symptoms started. what do you all think. thanks Ian, Maryland

Last edited by shtey47; 03-19-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shtey47
oil had been changed 1000 miles prior by jify, even thought it looks to be 1 quart over.
Well Jiffy Lube was the first mistake!

Could have been a slipped rocker that caused the others to follow concerting they are placed in order. The first thing I would do is get drunk.......LOL

No seriously, I would change out the the entire over head valve train and go from ther on the problem side.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:12 AM
shtey47

thanks im going to crazy rays today. my local junk yard were you pull parts urself. great prices. ill keep you posted.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM
shtey47

so i went to the junk yard and got a complete head assembly for $80, this head also had one slipped rocker but there was no damage to the head or internals, so it can be used. my head was cracked and cam was scored. the one thing i noticed is that the exhaust ports are tinnnnyy, and the manifold is restrictive as hell. can i get some cheap headers anywhere. and does anyone know why the rockers fall out, i was thinking i happens because the lifters go bad. well thanks for any input, Ian

Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure "why" they do that?

As for aftermarket, Edelbrock and a few others might be out there. Maybe someone with more info an the 4.7L will chime in.

Quick Reply: 2000 durango broken rockers