1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Is this a fair quote?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
THEBIGSITT
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a fair quote?

I just got a quote from a mechanic to fix a weird noise I had been hearing. The problem ended up being a shot wheel bearing (FL). The qote he gave me was just over $400 for parts and labor. He said $95 of the cost was labor, the rest for the hub itself. Is this a fair price? OR is this something that could be done in a garage using everyday tools?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have 4 wheel ABS then the cheapest wheel bearing with sensor I know is $225.

If you have 2 wheel ABS without the sensor then the cheapest one I know of is $189.

So either way with a market up of 50% on parts (remember they are getting them for about the price I listed) and 1 hour install.

Is it fair?............Yes as most shops charge that.
Is it a rip off?......Yes and thats why we do our own work. I could do 2 for the price of one installed.

In compairison, I am going to be re-gearing to a 4.10 gear ratio in front and back in my truck. I checked price at a repitable dealer and got a bill around $600 or so. With lubricant and supplies $700 tops. Well a shop quoted me around $1100+ installed with absolutely no problems. See my point?

Quick Reply: Is this a fair quote?