1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Mcstealth
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

Hello. David here in Central Texas. My 2002 4.7L Durango stopped on me Sunday (5/23/10) after the "check gauges" light came on. It did restart after a 20 minute rest waiting for the tow. The repair shop could not duplicate the circumstance. My wife drives it home, same thing happens to her with no oil pressure showing. Now what? I have read both sides of the argument and I am inclined to believe that there is a problem. I am looking for advice. I am not looking for someone to tell me I am not changing my oil (200,000 on my Ford, 150,000 on the Durango). As of now, the engine is not locked up. What is my first/next step?

David

Old 05-24-2010, 11:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i would start by making sure that you are actually losing pressure (get a mechanical gauge) and change the oil/filter, cut the filter open when you get it off and see if it looks clogged a few people have reported that changing to an oil with better detergents has done its job, and clogged the filter causing a loss of oil pressure

also what oil/filter have you been using?

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 05-24-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you saying that the truck shut down on you when the check engine light illuminated or the light cam on while you where driving and you shut it down?

Also, did you hear and rattling, heat, or bogging down when you seam to have lost oil pressure? Also when was the last time you replaced you PCV valve?

Too many questions.....lol

Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Mcstealth
Amateur
Default Will do...

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
i would start by making sure that you are actually losing pressure (get a mechanical gauge) and change the oil/filter, cut the filter open when you get it off and see if it looks clogged a few people have reported that changing to an oil with better detergents has done its job, and clogged the filter causing a loss of oil pressure

also what oil/filter have you been using?
Okay. I will start with that and let you know what I find. Won't be till this weekend though.

If I am changing the oil, then a standard Fram from Wal Mart with Penzoil 10-30. If I l go to a go to a quick service, same oil but let them do the filter.

Thanks.
David.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

not a FRAM filter, really? that could be part of the problem, they are some of the worst filters out there IME

Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Mcstealth
Amateur

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Are you saying that the truck shut down on you when the check engine light illuminated or the light cam on while you where driving and you shut it down?

Also, did you hear and rattling, heat, or bogging down when you seam to have lost oil pressure? Also when was the last time you replaced you PCV valve?

Too many questions.....lol
Yes. The truck shut down on its own while I was scanning the gauges. This was after the "check gauges" red warning light came on. I did not shut it off. I heard nothing mechanical and neither did my wife. Seems to run fine now with no metal on metal noise.

The PVC is probably 60,000 miles old.

Thanks
David

Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Hydra shocker wrote "Also when was the last time you replaced you PCV valve?"

About 6 hours and 0 miles ago.

We now return you to your originally scheduled thread.

Dave, Although it shouldnt cause a engine fail, with 60K on it, change the PCV Valve, about $5.50 + tax at A/Z probably not the cause, but I would list is as a contributing factor.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

The no oil pressure should be cause for concern. It could be something simple as a oil pressure sensor, but the only time I have ever had no or limited oil pressure is the first few seconds after an oil change when the filter is drained until the new oil cycles through the system. It might have been shutting down as a precaution. These days, some of the engines are smarter than we give them credit for.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If there was no warnings or anything telling me that the motor was indeed fine then I would replace the oil pressure sending unit and get a mechanical reading off it as well. If nothing it could be a PCM issue.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Mcstealth
Amateur
Default What I have learned.

I am back. Because of work and time and child constraints, I have had to take the truck to the shop for diagnosis and repair.

As of right now, taking off and inspecting the oil pick-up tube shows a screen with lots of 'gunk'. This was AFTER I authorized a chemical flush to be added to the old oil. Unfortunatrely, we do not know how bad the screen could have been clogged before the additive was inserted. Also, the shop did not inspect the filter after I left instructions to do so. GRRRRRRR

A mechanical oil pressure gauge shows the pressure within limits. This I verified.

I authorized the purchase of an aftermarket pickup tube with a larger opening. I did not order a new oil pump.

I am looking online for a write up on the aftermarket pickup tube.

Any thoughts anyone?

David

Last edited by Mcstealth; 06-03-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: misspelling