1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 46re transmission range sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Computerjnkman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 46re transmission range sensor

I am back with another transmission question. I am in the process of replacing the 46RE in my 1999 Durango, I have the old transmission out and when I set it side by side to the replacement (2001 46RE from a Ram) I noticed that the Transmission Range sensor is different.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can put the old style into the new transmission or if there is an adaptor, or, worst case, if they are just not compatible at all.

I appreciate any help. Either way I will be trying to swap the sensors tonight, I am just not sure if there will be a ECU issue with me doing this.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

a 46 is a 46, they SHOULD have the sensor in the same place on both, if not then you got the wrong trans (the guy you got it from probably just guessed which one it was), if the sensor is just different(plug or pin out) you should be able to just switch them and be fine

Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Computerjnkman

Yeah, they are the same trans. Just with a different style of sensor plug. I have also noticed the shift lever linkage is a little different also, but I do not see any other differences between the two.

Thank you for the quick response

Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Computerjnkman
Default The problem is bigger than I thought

The problem is growing.

Here is where I am with this thing and I am hoping that someone has some thoughts on what I should do with it.

I have a 1999 durango with the 5.9L, and it had a 46re that was toast. So, I happened to come across a fresh rebuild of a 46re for a 2001 ram. physically they look identical. But there is a difference.

In 1999 the transmission used a Neutral safety switch that screwed into the side of the trans right above the trans pan, on the drivers side, it threaded in with a 3/4-16 thread. And has a 3pin plug, basically one pin for Park/Neutral, one for Drive gears, and one for reverse.

The 2001 version of the 46re went to a Transmission range sensor, meaning, it senses every gear you are in, instead of only telling the Transmission control unit if it is in Park/Neutral, Drive, or reverse. And in doing so, It now has a five pin connector, Park/Neutral, Reverse, Drive, 2nd, and 1st. And, instead of using the 3/4-16 thread, it uses a bushing that has a 1" thread on it.

On top of that, the cam mechanism inside that controls the unit is changed.

This leaves me with two possible ideas.

1.)Use the new style sensor, buy the plug that fits in the new sensor and wire it, only using the park/neutral, reverse, and drive pins. This is the way I would like to do it, but I am not sure if the controller will jive, I am not sure if the resistance readings will be the same as the old style switch.

2.)Use the old style switch, make a plug/adaptor to change the thread in the side of the trans from a 1" to a 3/4 to fit the old style. And then remove the valve body and replace the cam inside with the old style. I don't really want to do this, I did not want to dig into the trans, it is why I just bought an already rebuilt one.

I am just looking for anyone who may have run into this and how they went about solving the situation.

I really don't want to hear it is not a possible swap!!

Thank you all

Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

get in touch with master tech, he is the local transmission expert, he will have an answer for it.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Computerjnkman

Thanks shrpshtr,
I did stumble across a sonnax adaptor kit, to use the old style switch in the later model cases. But again, that still requires me to crack open the new trans and remove the valve body....Was hoping against doing that.

I will send him a message and see what kind of response he can give me.

Thank you

Old 10-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Chipbeckwith
Red face I am in the same boat ,what did you do?

I have the same issue, curious what you did for the fix?

Quick Reply: 1999 46re transmission range sensor