1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

inner wheel weights

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 PM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inner wheel weights

ok today i did both lower ball joint and i also did my inner and outer tie rod ends. and now whenever i make a right hand turn i can fell my drivers side upper ball joint hitting my wheel weights on the inside edge of my rim. and i know thats whats going on cuz i took my tire off and i can see where they are getting whacked and i can see on the ball joints to where the weights are hitting them.
is that caused by my alignment is out of wack. or should i get sticky weights put on the inside edge of the wheel?

Old 04-15-2012, 01:27 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No, either the shop put the inner weights on where they weren't supposed to, or the rims you have on are the issue with the back spacing.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:30 PM
alwaysclean19
Professional

+1 (like i would dare disagree) Also the tape weights are an inexpensive fix as long as the ball joints are not rubbing the rim itself.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

i found out that the reason why my weights were hitting were caused to them being so big. the tire shop put on iron weights, ny state doesnt allow auto shops to use lead weights anymore any in size comparison the iron weights are almost twice as big. and the spacing from the clip to the weight itself was the issue. so i went to a friend who has a tire balancing machine and he had some old lead weights that we put on and now ther is no rubbing or smacking of any kind. i was shocked when we showed me the difference in size. its tremendous. he said its very common now to see ppl coming in with the same problem cuz of the older vehicles with little clearance from the ball joints to the rim. alot of ppl have complained to the state. but they just say lead is harmfull to the enviroment. and thats there only issue to having lead weights on rims. BU#L ****. lol

Quick Reply: inner wheel weights