1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Looking at a 99 Duragno SLT w/ 130k

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 PM
1999_Durango_SLT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well any used vehicle will come with it's headaches. Can the dealer provide you with the Carfax? I always get one when I get a new Used car. The cost to do the above maintenance is well under 2-3k so you know. The maintenance is really needed to keep it strong and running great as you already know.

I did the above minus the timing chain as I am going to drop a new engine in it later. I think it was all under 1k to be honest minus the cost of tires as I got the 31x10.5 ones and being BFG's that cost me almost 800.00. You'll love it if you got it as a replacement trust me. You may not even need to do any or all of what I said may be needed. Might even have them flush the coolent, tranny fluid change and oil change then make the sale? How are the tires and the brakes? Does it make any noise at idle or driving? If the Brakes are worn and the tires are below the head on the quarter you may get them to do that too just to make the sale. Remember we are in a recession and they need you not you needing them. For plug and wires I would do it personally so you get the right ones and a good grade of wires too.

Just my thoughts..........

Old 07-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Sarlacc

I havent gone to drive it yet. It was a car that the my salesman sold and then took as a trade in. So, I have to ask if all the records and history are available. Carfax only tells you so much about the car, its very easy to hide info from ever showing on that site.

I'm just laying groundwork before actually going to look. Know what I need to look at and feel before driving it....if I decide its worthwhile to look at.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:44 PM
1999_Durango_SLT
Professional

If it shakes or has a grinding sound while driving or even knocking or ticking it needs repairs badly. Give it a look again at what I mentioned in post #2. Also if you can have a mechanic look at it and they would be able to tell you anything they see from overlooking it.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ill make it simple, the things you need to ask about/check

transmission maintance (if NOT maintained the transmission on the 5.x doesnt stay happy very long)
ball joints (if they are bolted on they have been replaced, otherwise expect to do that)
of course general maintance items as stated
def get the carfax
and btw dont expect good gas mileage out of the new tank

good luck and if you need anything else let me know

Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM
99dodgedurangoSLT5.2rwd
Rookie

Look your gonna have problem with all cars. When you buy a used car no matter what you do its still a luck thing all depends on how it was treated before you.

Everywhere i have looked i have seen ball joints being a problem. But they make lifetimes for 100$ thats upper and lower

The reasons why i bought mine was because the inside looks brand new not a stain a burn scratch nothing. Outside the same in perfect condition. So if they took this good care of their car they had to have taken good car of the motor

An because all my friends have drove the **** out of their dodges i got a boy with a stratus with over 200K. I got a a chick with a intrepid close to 300k. An none of them have anything bad to say. I trust the company.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Sarlacc

I'm glad you have trust in Dodge...so do I, I do own a 2010 Challenger. But mid to late 90s was a totally different company.

I saw the Durango. Looked OK. Interior was very clean. It drove OK. Didnt love the brake feel, had enough power once it got moving. Engine was clean, under the frame it looked like there was oil. not sure from where. In the end I decided to pass. I wasnt in love with driving it.

I did drive a new 2011 Jeep GC limited. Hell that was nice. Too bad its out of the budget.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

when driving a durango you have to keep in mind that it was built off a truck platform, and therefore rides and handles like a truck, some like that some dont

Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Sarlacc

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
when driving a durango you have to keep in mind that it was built off a truck platform, and therefore rides and handles like a truck, some like that some dont
So is my 1995 Pathfinder. Box on Frame design. The way it felt is fine. I dont mind that.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:39 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

If that tranny hasn't been rebuilt or replaced, it's way overdue. lol

Old 07-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

you'll be running on your luck...so much will depend on how it was driven and maintained...
i drive a 99 2WD 5.9l and although its fun and reliable now, getting there practically mean't replacing just about every component on the vehicle...

people haven't mentioned the PCM...the 99's were well known for the engine stalling suddenly due to the pCM overheating...no fun at all in traffic when the power assist on the brakes and steering stops

ball joints and other stuff are small beer and just expect it, think cracked cylinder head, noisy differential, failed engine support mounts, water pump etc etc

my advice is to buy a later model D which had a lot of the issues designed out or be prepared to deal with issues...and get a peverse satisfaction with turning the car around

Chris

Quick Reply: Looking at a 99 Duragno SLT w/ 130k