1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 SLT 4x4-Multiple issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 PM
durangonewbie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 SLT 4x4-Multiple issues

Okay, First off I want to thank any opinions/advise that are given. I know some basics about working on cars, but have room to grow.

I have a 99 durango slt 5.9 L. I recently had the water pump replaced. Hating myself because I heard/felt a weird vibrating that would even out once truck was running. Everyone was assuring me it was my harmonic balancer... which turned out fine. On way to shop, truck broke down and towed it. Needless to say, dropped $400 on something I could have done myself at home.

Also replaced the Thermostat and had an oil change with filter change as well. Also, since I live in Arizona I had the AC charged and they did a pressure check/leak check and said everything there was ok. That is where my Truck stands. I know I need a tune-up, been about 9 months since last one.

Issues: Running rough while idling (tune-up?) and it is shaking a bit more than normal.
-When took it in for water pump was told that contoller arms on right side (upper and lower) had play and lower (I believe) had some rust. They told me not to worry about it... but how much of an issue is that with a 4x4 even though I don't take it 4wheeling?
-Left tire has wear, so know I need alignment, but that won't make a difference until I take care of controller arm? Right or wrong?
-When I first take off, truck has been sitting like over night or a couple hours, it sounds like a spaceship about to take off... Just all air and it is pulling power from my truck. It goes back to "regular" driving and sound after like 15 seconds, and usually shifting into 2nd or 3rd.
I know I have to replace the gasket on tranny and do flush and regular maintence coming up here soon, could that also be culprit?
-Finally, when I started my truck this morning it made this weird noise that last about 2 seconds, sounded almost like a deeper whirring noise (similar to when power steering is dry and you turn wheel) going from back to front of vehicle. Never has done that before. Made noise right after I started car and I had only been idling in park for maybe 10 seconds and before I was going to put into gear. My truck drove fine when in gear after, just weird noise that I don't know if I should worry about.

Any advise is appreciated again. I know there are other posts with some similar things, but I am having hard time finding them again... guess I am having issues too, not just truck

Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
durangonewbie
Default I forgot to add...

So, I go through radiator fluid like crazy as well. Does not seem to be leaking, but I am afraid I have a blockage somewhere since I don't get much flow into the reserve.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

ok okok well break this down a little bit
Originally Posted by durangonewbie
Okay, First off I want to thank any opinions/advise that are given. I know some basics about working on cars, but have room to grow.
that is fine, and what we are here for

I have a 99 durango slt 5.9 L. I recently had the water pump replaced. Hating myself because I heard/felt a weird vibrating that would even out once truck was running. Everyone was assuring me it was my harmonic balancer... which turned out fine. On way to shop, truck broke down and towed it. Needless to say, dropped $400 on something I could have done myself at home.

Also replaced the Thermostat and had an oil change with filter change as well. Also, since I live in Arizona I had the AC charged and they did a pressure check/leak check and said everything there was ok. That is where my Truck stands. I know I need a tune-up, been about 9 months since last one.

Issues: Running rough while idling (tune-up?) and it is shaking a bit more than normal.
v8s are known to run very smooth, rough idle could be anything from bad spark plugs, or bad plug wires, or bad cap to bad fuel injectors, dirty fuel injectors or even simply bad gas, or the IAC motor going bad, or a bad 02 sensor (only if its after warm up).

i would suggest starting out with a full tune up msd 8-8.5mm wires, copper core champion plugs gapped to .040 cap and rotor with BRASS contacts and get back to us

-When took it in for water pump was told that contoller arms on right side (upper and lower) had play and lower (I believe) had some rust. They told me not to worry about it... but how much of an issue is that with a 4x4 even though I don't take it 4wheeling?
controller arm? do you mean the A-arms that the ball joints are mounted to? if so dont worry about surface rust (in most cases surface rust is a minor thing so dont worry)

-Left tire has wear, so know I need alignment, but that won't make a difference until I take care of controller arm? Right or wrong?
yup, you need an alignment, but you also need all teh suspension components to be in spec and properly installed or else you will lose the alignment pretty quickly

-When I first take off, truck has been sitting like over night or a couple hours, it sounds like a spaceship about to take off... Just all air and it is pulling power from my truck. It goes back to "regular" driving and sound after like 15 seconds, and usually shifting into 2nd or 3rd.
this is NORMAL on these trucks, just the clutch fan spinning and doing its job, long as it lets go inside of a 1/2 mile or so you are fine

I know I have to replace the gasket on tranny and do flush and regular maintence coming up here soon, could that also be culprit?
-Finally, when I started my truck this morning it made this weird noise that last about 2 seconds, sounded almost like a deeper whirring noise (similar to when power steering is dry and you turn wheel) going from back to front of vehicle. Never has done that before. Made noise right after I started car and I had only been idling in park for maybe 10 seconds and before I was going to put into gear. My truck drove fine when in gear after, just weird noise that I don't know if I should worry about.

if it was coming from the back it sounds like you heard the fuel pump priming (going off your whirring sound description) its normal, just wait for it to stop and turn the key to start

Any advise is appreciated again. I know there are other posts with some similar things, but I am having hard time finding them again... guess I am having issues too, not just truck
if i missed anything let me know

o btw the coolant resevoir really shouldnt be filled to the top, there are holes on the 'dipstick' to tell you how much to have in it. if you keep adding to it its going somewhere, if you have no leaks (puddles under the truck ect) then check for coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:22 PM
1999_Durango_SLT
Professional

I have the 5.2L but may offer some help but I am still learning as well on my D. I would look into a radiator flush that would flush out the heater core as well for the Rad. What about the Intake Manifold? I had a very slight leak there and I knew it because I smelled rad fluid but couldn't see or find it with the naked eye.

The shaking part just a guess it could be that but what about the tierods, ball joints or even the wheel bearings? Would a bad cvboot do this too?

Money can be tight especially for the amount that's needed for you right now. I have been there to a certain degree myself, but I wouldn't put these things off too long D's love their routine check-up

Again I may lead right or I may be off or way off as I am still learning too. Also suggest to get to Autozone or Oriely's and get the Chiltons book for 20.00 as it can also be of great help in undiscovered areas. The folks here will also be glad to take you step by step too.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:59 PM
durangonewbie
Talking Update

So this morning, I checked the plugs just to see how they were doing and get an idea of everything I would need to purchase... and some where gaped wrong (4 of the 8). In hindsight the guy at the dealer who "worked" on my tune-up seemed like an idiot. So it is actually running better already. I am going to still do a full tune-up (plugs, wires, cap and flush). I am going to check my iac and 02 sensor later today.

And as a matter of opinion, I found a Kit that has controller arms, ball joints and bushings, which so much cheaper than buying seperate. What do you guys think of this kit?

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Post the link to the kit?

Quick Reply: 99 SLT 4x4-Multiple issues