1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Low cabin airflow

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 PM
wreinhold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low cabin airflow

I have a 2002 Durango (5.9 L, 4x4) with very low cabin airflow from the front system and almost no air at all from the rear. Same in heat or a/c mode.

Had it to the dealer -- they recharged the a/c (air blows very cold, just very little of it). They also spent a lot of time checking for vacuum leaks which, from what I've read in this forum, was a waste of time since the doors are electric. (won't be going back to that dealer again)

Doors all seem to be working -- air flows from the correct outlets.

I tried replacing the front blower motor. No change.

Tried connecting the front blower motor directly to the battery to bypass the controls & resistor. No change.

Checked for obstructions at the fresh air intake. Seems to be clear. Can see the fresh air/recirculate door move. Air flow does not get any stronger in max a/c though. Used to be a very noticable increase in flow.

Any ideas?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If there is no increase in A/C max for air output, and your sure that there is no air coming out the floor or defrosters and all air is coming out of the correct panel as indicated by the dial then you could have an issue. Also check to see if you hear a distinction in fan speed as you switch between the speeds. Also make sure the actuators are all the way fully engaged in either direction.

If all this checks out then I would think you have some obstruction in the fresh air intake. There could be a mouse that has made a nest in the intake or crap has blocked the coils to not allow air to be pulled through. The only way to check is with a snake camera or possibly a extendable mirror like a extendable magnet for reaching dropped tools and such.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
wreinhold

Thanks -- I have a few responses to your comments.

"...check to see if you hear a distinction in fan speed as you switch between the speeds."
--> Yes, there is. Plus I hooked the fan directly to the battery to be sure it was getting full voltage. It blows a lot of air when pulled out of the system.

"Also make sure the actuators are all the way fully engaged in either direction."
--> How?

"If all this checks out then I would think you have some obstruction in the fresh air intake."
--> I can see the fresh air/recirc door from the engine compartment -- all clean, & no filter. And I can reach up through the ducting with the fan removed to touch that door -- all clean. Is there somewhere else to look?

"... or crap has blocked the coils to not allow air to be pulled through."
--> Are you referring to the evaporator coils?

Since airflow is low in both front and rear systems we either have separate and coincidental problems or one problem common to both systems. The systems have separate heater cores and evaporators so it seems that may be less likely than something common. The question is, what is common? Just the intake? Is it possible there's a ducting leak somewhere that would cause both systems to leak air before getting to the vents?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you check for a plugged up cabin filter?

IndyD

Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i wasnt aware these trucks had cabin airfilters :O

i was going to suggest checking on the interior side of the fan for a blockage

Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 AM
wreinhold

I don't think there is a filter (is there?). After removing the fan I can reach up and touch a door, which I believe is the fresh air/recirc door. I can also see that door from the outside of the vehicle at the intake.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wreinhold
I don't think there is a filter (is there?). After removing the fan I can reach up and touch a door, which I believe is the fresh air/recirc door. I can also see that door from the outside of the vehicle at the intake.
No there is no filter as Indy is givin ya a hard time.

Yes that is the recirculation door.

Quick Reply: Low cabin airflow