1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Not Running Right. Head Gasket???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Dallas86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Running Right. Head Gasket???

I have a 99 Durango with the 5.9 in it. I think i have a blown head gasket but am not sure. The exhaust smells real rich sometimes, I recently looked under the radiator cap and seen a milky swirl on top?? heard somewhere that that means a blown head gasket. I also noticed one day some smoke coming from under the hood but couldn't tell if it was coming from the valve cover or the head gasket. Also when i am driving when I press on the gas pedal it downshifts one gear but is real doggy like something is holding it back, but if i put it to the floor it downshifts again and accelerates fine. I want to be certain its a gasket before I start tearing into it. what is your input on the gasket repair stuff you put in your coolant.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

get the cylinders pressure tested, and ask for a leak down test on each cylinder, if one of them fails either test that is the bank thats bad

Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 PM
neogeo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT PUT ANY TYPE of so called fix it stuff in the radiator for headgaskets.. it will make a complete and utter mess and will do you more harm than good . and i 2nd that on getting a compression test done on the cylinders.. but most of the time not always but most you will have a miss if its a blown headgasket.( thats just in my experiences)

Old 09-11-2010, 02:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by neogeo
DO NOT PUT ANY TYPE of so called fix it stuff in the radiator for headgaskets.. it will make a complete and utter mess and will do you more harm than good . and i 2nd that on getting a compression test done on the cylinders.. but most of the time not always but most you will have a miss if its a blown headgasket.( thats just in my experiences)
+ 1000 on that!

Quick Reply: Not Running Right. Head Gasket???