1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 durango chirping like crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 AM
rjenvision
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 durango chirping like crazy!!!

Hello All! I need some real good insight on my durango. I have had my 99 durango for 2yrs and i cannot get rid of this loud chirping sound to save my life. ive replace everything from the idler pulley, the tensioner pulley, the serpintine belt,and even recently the water pump! Nothing seems to help. After i put a new belt on it, it stops for a few, then starts back up again. my mechanic said the only thing left is the harmonic balancer. Somebody please help me before i toss this truck in the River!!!!!

Old 09-11-2010, 02:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's the harmonic balancer you can try taking off the belt and starting the motor, but only for a few seconds. If it is the harmonic balancer it should make a sound. While you have the belt off spin all the pulleys and feel for movement, sound, and free spinning bearing play. It could be as simple as a A/C clutch pulley or a alternator. Check em all and pay attention. Also be on the look out for any metal fragments or abnormal grease spun out from the bearings on surrounding areas.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:33 PM
SumAmerican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a pos "rebuilt" water pump on my D that caused churping. couldnt tell by looking at it that the water pump pulley was off but replaced it with a new water pump and the issue went away..
just food for tought

Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's those damned squirrels in the squirrel cage located under the passenger side dash!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans01Durango
It's those damned squirrels in the squirrel cage located under the passenger side dash!
lmfao

Quick Reply: 99 durango chirping like crazy!!!