1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Truck won't start... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:47 PM
MattT516
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start... HELP!

Hi guys,

I've been looking around on the 1st Gen forum but I'm not too sure about the outcome here so I figured I'd post.

My girlfriend has an '00 SLT with about 45k miles on it (low mileage, I know).

She was driving home the other night, when the truck just stopped responding as she was driving. She pulled over, waited a minute and the truck started, but with the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT on. She drove it home and parked it.

Yesterday, I tried starting the truck several times. Each time, the lights inside the truck would go on but the truck wouldn't start. After about 4 times, I lifted the hood but didn't find anything. The next time I tried to start it after closing the hood, the "NO BUS" message went off in the odometer window. That was the only time I saw "NO BUS".

Today, my dad tried to start it by disconnecting the battery, but that didn't work. After trying a little while later, the truck started and he drove it to a mechanic (no CEL). The mechanic said he didn't know what was wrong, and my dad was driving it back home when it shut down again.

So what is the deal here?
-It's probably not a battery, because it was replaced about 4 months ago.
-My girlfriend took the truck through a car wash about 3 hours before the problem started, and she said she saw a wire hanging near the dashboard with tape on it. Any idea on what the wire could be? My dad said he saw the same wire but didn't know what it was.

Could the problem be the dreaded ECU replacement? That's what I'm hoping against, but who knows.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The wire could be a ground broken off and if it is I have seen it cause a NO BUS.

Pull the code it triggered and then reset the PCM. Give us the code you get!

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ine-light.html
2000 and newer directions:
Turn the key to ON (not start), OFF, ON, OFF, ON and leave it there. If you look in the odometer window the codes will flash any code(s) with a small delay between each result. Each code should be in a P#### format, and will say PDONE when completed - turn your key to OFF and remove. Use the OBD code list to determine what problem the computer detected.

To reset your engine codes:
Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
Start but do not hit the throttle. Idle for about 10/15 seconds then turn off.
Restart the truck and drive as usual. It will take at least 12 starts and 48 miles to fully retune the computer. Hard Codes leave a shaddow for 40 full cold starts.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:23 PM
MattT516
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON, I believe the code that came up (my dad has been working with it, I've been at work all day) was:

P0443 Evap Purge Solenoid Circ

He also said there is something about the alarm that is throwing off the starter on the car. Does this make any sense? Also, what kind of alarm does this come with from the factory? There is some sort of Viper Alarm system on the right side of the engine bay, but it uses the factory remote. The car was bought used, so I don't know what a previous owner did with the alarm.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the aftermarket (viper alarms were not installed at the factory) alarm could VERY easily be the cause of the random shutdowns, i would look into removing as they are known to cause starting/running issues if they think the car has been broken into.

the 0443 is most likely unrelated, and could be as simple as a loose plug on the evap solenoid.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 Remove the alarm!

Then mess with the harness on the Purge Solenoid and look for corrosion. I think it's under the battery?

Quick Reply: Truck won't start... HELP!