1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'99 Won't start, no gauges, idiot lights on all because I replaced TS Flasher

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:38 PM
rancej
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Won't start, no gauges, idiot lights on all because I replaced TS Flasher

Hi all, noob here. I apologize if this has been answered already but I scoured the forums and couldn't find this exact problem.

I bought my wife a 99 Durango on Sept. 4th, and she has been complained that the turn signals are intermittent. I could not duplicate the problem (until last night) thinking she was crazy. So I found this forum, read where the flasher box was located, purchased one at NAPA and replaced at 11am.

Checked the turn signals and the driver side now flashed fast, looked outside and noticed the driver side front was not working. Back to NAPA for a bulb.

Check to forum for bulb replacement, I don't have a torx screwdriver so I replace it from under the truck. Test left turn signal and it's still not working.

I don't have the manual and was too stupid to look at the fuse door for fuse placement so I pull every fuse out and check them. All appears well.

Back to forum, realize there are two bulbs (corner) one, crawl back under truck, can't get this one without removing headlight. Decide to drive truck (used my car for other trips) to NAPA thinking they will help me with torx screwdriver. Durango runs for 10 seconds and cuts off. Try again...same result.

I noticed the gauges and idiot lights are all on, I have no odometer. Now the truck won't start at all. Check battery---plenty of power. Disconnect negative cable, wait 30 minutes, return to truck, reconnect negative.

Now it won't start at all...just turns over fine. Back to the forums, try trip reset function...nothing. I noticed the radio works in the acc position (I have the clock/station displayed but in the run position there is no display but does have sound.

I checked to be sure the fuel pump was running and heard the relay click.

Sorry this is long but I didin't want to leave anything out. Any suggestions guys?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't know anything about durango's, so this may or may not work. see if you can read any codes that are stored. on the ram, we turn the ignition to on, off, on, off, on and read the codes in the digital odometer.

you can also speed up a pcm reset by disconnecting neg battery cable and turning on the headlights for 30 seconds to drain the memory. however - this clears any stored codes.

did it ever run ok during any of your intermediate steps. if so, try to go back and determine what happened after that. its obviously an electrical problem with a fuse or a wire. any chance that a fuse blew during your testing? or that you put one back in the wrong spot and left an important one empty?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:06 PM
rancej

Thanks for your quick reply dhvaughan. I never drove it during the whole ordeal....I took my car to NAPA for the parts. I can't read any codes because there is no display on the odometer.

I also noticed the power seats don't work. I've tried retracing my steps but unplugging the flasher and plugging a new one in didn't require much but it was hard to get my hand up there so I could have pressed on a wire.

I think my big mistake here was checking all of the fuses. Not sure. Still looking around to see if I can make sense of any of it.

I will say, my wife is not happy....

Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

locate, pull and check the power seat fuse. on the ram, fuse #9 (i think) is labeled something like ps or pdl but it also controls the central timing module CTM which is sometime called the BCM or body control and its real important.

without anything else to go on, i'd pull and recheck each fuse. i'd also remove the flasher just in case its somehow shorting out and involved in the problem.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:52 PM
rancej

Thanks again dhvaughan. PROBLEM SOLVED. Hanging upside down trying to locate flasher box and then squeezing my my hand up made me think maybe I unplugged something.

I went back out to the truck, upside down again looking around and retracing my steps. Turned the key on and had no door chime with door open. Looking around at everything and tracing wires I pushed on the white cover with the bolt in it (wiring harness I think) and I heard the door chime.

Rightside up I went, and all of the gauges were back on. Cranked the truck right up. The bolt holding the cover was loose. Now I never touched that thing the whole time I was installing the flasher but I did have to slightly move wires to get my hand up there.

So I wasted most of a day on stupidity but I did learn something and I hope it helps someone else out in the future.

This is my 2nd Durango. I bought a 99 new and traded it for a Chevy Avalanche z71 back in 03. I never had any problems with mine EXCEPT transmission module twice repaired under warranty. She had 190k on her when I traded her.

I do like this one a lot....

Old 09-19-2010, 06:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

good deal. enjoy it.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rancej
So I wasted most of a day on stupidity but I did learn something and I hope it helps someone else out in the future.
We've all been there before......LOL

Quick Reply: '99 Won't start, no gauges, idiot lights on all because I replaced TS Flasher