1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

02 Durango SXT brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
JDre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Durango SXT brake problems

Have brake issues, severely grabbing and jerks upon stopping, had front/rear pads and shoes replaced, front/rear rotors and drums replaced, brake fluid drained, flushed, and replaced, and front calipers rebuilt. ABS on rears only. Problem is still there and continues to get worse. Took to several shops including Dodge and all say they can't find a problem. Any other suggestions? I'm on my last nerve with this issue. Consider this a safety concern.. Thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 03:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rust can cause this to happen but usually it alleviates after the first couple of stops. Get going down the road and place your foot lightly on the brake and slowly push harder as you start to loose speed gear down and open up the throttle while holding down the brake. Do this for about 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Now this is going to heat up the brakes so be careful. Now see if they are still grabby.

If they are still grabby, try like you're coming to a very hard stop from a large speed (like 80mph) onto an off ramp or similar and you forgot the stop sign was right there. I mean a very hard stop but WITHOUT locking the brakes up. Do this on cold brakes only!

What I am getting at here is if you have pitting in the rotors from rust it acts like sand paper and makes stopping like a grabby jerk. If you can get this to ware off you'll be in good shape. Also watch where you park as the sprinkling system can get water on your rotors continuing the rust and your back to square one again each day.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:13 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

90% chance that the rear shoes need adjusted (again.) Believe it or not.

I suggest bleeding the system correctly at all five spots and have the rears adjusted again. Have it done at a busy and active brake shop because they will have the most experience and familiarity without costing you a dealer-ton-o-cash or have to deal with a jack-of-all-trades grease shop.

IndyDurango

Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 AM
JDre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the tips, I'll try both and see where it gets me. I was hoping that after all the parts, labor, and money put into them they would be fixed. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: 02 Durango SXT brake problems