1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission issue??? Weird symptons!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 AM
rhillman75
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue??? Weird symptons!!!

2001 Durango, 5.9L, AT, 4X4. I have noticed that the transmission often feels like you are "pulling" something when you are not. Gears 1, 2, & R are fine. What I have noticed even more is that lately after I have driven about a mile or so and come to a stop at light or stop sign...while I am sitting still the transmission feels like it "kicks" down and you can feel the vehicle move forward like someone rear ended you. I just did the gasket and filter and added Seafoam TransTune hoping to clear it up...obviousy I was praying for a quick solution. ANy thoughts!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

COuld be a Torque Convertor solenoid or TC going out.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i wouldnt have put that seafoam into the trans, i would never put anything besides mopar approved ATF +4 into the trans, did you have the bands adjusted when you had the fluid changed? if not maybe, but hydra is probably onto the more likely track

Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 PM
rhillman75
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know what you are saying about the Seafoam TransTune. The problem was happening before I had this done... and the mechanic said it would clear the lines out of any junk... which he said "may" clear up any issue. No...they did not adjust the bands...I didn't ask him to. Is this hard to do? I am VERY mechaical...but this is the first transmission I have had problems with. I have the manual download but I am sure it doesn't get into any major detail on the adjustment process. It is just so weird in how it acts. Some mornings when its cold it just starts to take offf with no problems. Other times when it starts to warm up or if it has been idling at a stop it just feels like you are pulling a trailor when you take off. What bugs me even more than that is the action of the durango at a stop. At times you will actually "feel" it shift forward and it feels like someone just rear ended you. I just bought it and the motor was completely rebuilt and I'd hate to take it to the dealership since they socked me $400.00 to bleed the ABS system. Is there any way to see if there is a stored code on the transmission since I have no CEL light on? If I wanted to test the torque solenoid..where is it?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:39 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if you have the manual download it should show you where the tc solenoid is, the bands are inside the transmission pan, so its a messy job to adjust them, all you need to do it is the tools to open the trans pan and a torque wrench, and the torque specs from the manual

Quick Reply: Transmission issue??? Weird symptons!!!