1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Thermostat? Radiator? Still Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
mickinirvine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat? Radiator? Still Overheating

Okay, last week I thought I had broken my fan blade. With the help of some here and looking at the mess I determined that I had a bad water pump. So I drained the radiator, and installed a new water pump.

When the blade came off when the water pump broke it knicked a fairly new radiator. I filled the knick with some putty designed for radiators. I filled it back up with coolant and ran it. It runs great, but get hot after about fifteen minutes. The temp just doesn't ever level out.

My first thought is that the thermostat is now bad. Is it common for parts like this to fail as a result of the water pump failing? I called the shop that installed my radiator and he seemed to think it was more likely a thermostat than it was the radiator.

Any thoughts? Is the thermostat really UNDER the car on a Durango?

Thanks as always!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if you have the 4.7l the t-stat is on the return line from the radiator (in the block of course)

im not sure where it is on the 5.9

Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

5.9L, 5.2L, and 3.9L are on the top of the motor in 1998-1999 models where the Thermostat Neck meets the block. On the 5.9, 2000-2003 models are in the same place.

4.7L is on the block, lower passenger side where the lower radiator hose comes in to the motor.

Take you radiator to the shop and have it welded (fixed) the right way. Replace the T-stat while it is out and remember to check it in boiling water (see if it opens) BEFORE installation. Make sure the spring goes toward the engine on the T-stat. Replace the coolant and remember to have the heater on HOT and fan at High. Start the truck and fill again, engage the throttle to about 2000 rpm and hold as you finish filling and hurry and place the cap on and release the throttle. Fill your reservoir. This is for the 5.9L, 5.2L, 3.9L.

The 4.7 liter motor instructions to burb the system is all over this section.

Quick Reply: Thermostat? Radiator? Still Overheating