1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 12:16 AM
gcredneck02
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift kit?

I have been thinking about getting a Durango. If I did get one I would want to put a lift on it (suspension.) The prices I have saw on the the kits have been really high. Has anybody saw one that I wouldn't have to give my arm and a leg for?

Old 03-06-2004, 05:23 AM
cloud9ms
Rookie
Default RE: lift kit?

Hello,

What year Durango are you looking for? Are you thinking of getting a 2/4wd? How tall do you want to go? Those are major factors affecting price, especially when lift kits are concerned.

Take care!

Old 03-07-2004, 02:15 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a body lift on it, they are cheap and easy to install. combine that with cranking up the torsion bars and some blocks out back and your set.

Old 03-07-2004, 04:13 PM
gcredneck02
Rookie

I was thinking that I would get about a '98 model, 4wd. The lift I would get would probably be a 6 inch because I want to put either 36 or 38's on it. What was the first year dodge put the durango on the market?

Old 03-07-2004, 08:25 PM
dodgemech
All Star

Old 05-22-2004, 06:44 AM
Saint
Veteran

There isn a 6.5" lift kit available for the Durango from Truckin' Suspension, but I don't recommend it for anyone who intends to Wheel their truck, ther is also Tuff Country's 5.5" lift, but I've heard horror stories about that lift from people who wheel hard, so I can't. really recommend it. Your best bet would probably be to get Rancho's 3" suspension lift with a 3" body lift. You may be able to squeeze 35s under those lifts, but I don't recommend it since it will put a lot of strain on the drivetrain. Tuff Country recommends a 33 as the tallest tire to be used with their lift kit.

As far as price goes the D has IFS so lift kits are gonna be expensive, if you can find a decent lift kit for an IFS truck for under 1G, either it's only like a 2"-3" lift or it's a crappy product. That's just the way it goes with IFS.

Now if you really want to fit 36s or 38s then you could always do a Straight Axle Swap in the front and put as much lift as you want on it, but that's gonna be really expensive, you're probably looking at twice the cost of a Lift kit for all the fabrication and parts required for this project.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:40 PM
momsdurango

I have an 04 AWD durango and havethe truxxx leveling kit thatis no longer beingsold for the 4x4's with 35's on it. I was looking at the truckn' suspension lift kit and know i have to save my pennies... I have not found any other;s tho. Nore have I found a body kit for it. Where did you find it?

Old 02-22-2008, 05:08 AM
outlawrebel

iam looking for 3 1/2 lift for my durango 1998

Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

As is 98-99 Durango, the onlyoptions i would only recomend are:
Low budget- 3" body lift, 2" T/s
Med budget- Tuff country 5.5" lift,
High budget- SAS.

As for the suspension lifts, the IFS systems are not bullet proof so i wouldnt put them through a torture test, but by far the Tuff country lift is the best availible, all the others will lead you right into a headache. Also, without some major upgrading, running anything above 33" tires is a disastor waiting to happen to the drive train. The "Top dawg" way to go would be a SAS as other had mentioned, but it can be very costly. On the SAS side, leaf springs are the simple/cheap way to go, but you dont have great articulation. Going with springs is the best way to go for articulation, but 2x thecost/labor of leafs. I did my research before jumping into anything and im in the "very low" budget area putting on 3" bl and t/s,I did all the work myself. $300 is the price it took me to get to the second picture. The last pic i went witha 33x12.50 tire on a 15x10 offset rim, picked up the rims off ebay for cheap. If you run a similar setup, the offset rims/tires will need trimming on the rear of the front fender. Im not sure about the front because i had my rusted bumper already replaced. Even though i love my setup and its aggressise stance i must forewarn anyone going this route. Our durangos "Do not" have extended flares availible, only universal rubber flares. So if you plan on keeping a paintjob that is something to look into. Also offset rims change the pressure applied to your hub, so dont be surprised if the extra strain causes bearings to go early.

Stock 31" no lift no kennesaw bumper

5" (3"bl/2"t/s) with stock 31"
Name:  latch003-1.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  77.2 KB
5" with 33"
Name:  Img_0725.jpg
Views: 12089
Size:  112.5 KB

Old 04-06-2008, 05:20 PM
psykotic4x4

my 98 durango has a 3 1/2 in. tough country susension lift(i believe, might be rancho) it was already on it when i bought it, and a 3" body lift with a set of 33X12.5" BFG A/Ts with a factory offset wheel and not only are they tucked, they dont rub at lock which is surprising. also beside the fact that te front has limited travel it has held up well against my wheeling. the only problem ive had so far is the upper controll arm shifted on me while wheeling once. easy fix though. id actually recomend the lift to anyone that has a durango or dakota. ill look into the actual maker of the lift.

Quick Reply: lift kit?