1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I concur, they usually don't just drop a race (because I don't think it can by design) or a ball bearing with no warning.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...l-bearing.html

4X4 bearing:

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
After tearing into the hub assembly with a hydraulic press it was found to be just that (an assembly). The bearings are custom made and the races are also built to be a mounting surface.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Thats interesting you say yours went out like that because typically you get a while before it NEEDS to be replaced. My wife drove about 6,000 miles while it was moaning and groaning before it got replaced.
Agreed, there's usually plenty of warning. This time there was about 10 miles of city driving, 35 mph, from the first hint of a problem to the bearing dumping itself out on the ground. Not sure why, but something unusual must have happened to it.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a fatiuge fracture then. Maybe a issue with a ball bearing or race cast issue or something.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 AM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Sounds like a fatiuge fracture then. Maybe a issue with a ball bearing or race cast issue or something.
Yeah, could be. This was the original hub assembly and it happened at about 155,000 miles, so I can't really blame it on "just got a bad one".

Wasn't an expensive repair, so I'm not too concerned about it, just found it a bit unusual. I concur with what others have said about usually having plenty of time before it leaves you stranded on the side of the road. Just threw it out there to let people no there's no guarantee, even if it's not the norm, it is possible for them to go "right now".

Quick Reply: wheel bearing