1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango 4.7 started fine but died after turning on heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:09 AM
comfortablyjake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Durango 4.7 started fine but died after turning on heater

Hello and thank you for any help!

My 2002 Durango started as normal but died after turning on the heater and now won't start. It turned over for a few seconds until my battery was dead. My battery has been on the decline for some time so I figured it was that. Replaced battery and still doesn't start. Will turn over just fine but not fire. It is very late here and I was not able to check fuel and spark, however, in my limited experience, it doesn't seem like that makes sense. Seems more like a sensor or computer? I got no codes when it happened and have none now. Another note, when it died the gauges remained the same (rpm, fuel, etc.) until i turned off the key (never seen this before). Heard no noise, had to listen hard to tell the engine was off. I will be tackling this head on in the morning and any help narrowing down my search is greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Jake

Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 AM
02durangosxt
Default start with the easy stuff first!!

have your alternator tested. its likely something stupid. if it started then died when you turned the heat on, then obviously its not getting enough juice to run the vehicle. go through and check all your fuses under the dash along with all fuses and relays under the hood as well. fuses are likely not the issue, but all it takes is one to confuse the computer. as i said start with the small stuff.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the main fuse in the PDC (under the hod fuse box). It's like a 140 AMP or so. It is the first one all buy it's self.

Also check all the other fuses there and check the ones in the dash.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:39 AM
comfortablyjake

After going through several things, I found i was getting sort of an error code. Not really an error code but the NO BUS reading on the odometer, meaning that it wasn't communicating with my PCM. The NO BUS reading comes on without the check engine light coming on. So I guess somehow the heater turning on with a depleted battery somehow caused the computer to go out????

Anyways, I was able to locate a PCM with the same serial number and replaced it. Fired right up, however, my abs and rear defrost light are blinking. I am hoping a flash from the dealer with vin and mileage will fix this tomorrow. I will keep this thread posted.

Does anyone know if I can drive the vehicle to the dealer the way it is or can they flash it without it being installed on the vehicle?

Last edited by comfortablyjake; 12-09-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

It would be better to take it in if you can.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:06 PM
comfortablyjake

Thanks hydrashocker! That is what I will do. Just made an appointment for 2pm. The dealers are giving me a lot of mixed messages on whether a used pcm will be able to be programmed correctly or not (old truck may have had power seats on both sides and mine only has on the drivers, old truck might have had security and mine doesn't, etc). My research on this forum shows mixed messages also. I will let you know what they say.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 PM
comfortablyjake

Bad news, the pcm is not flashable once it has had a vehicles vin flashed into it. So my durango runs about the same as before all the problems just have to deal with the abs light blinking and dinging (i pulled the fuse) and the rear defrost light blinking. They said the abs was on because the pcm and abs vins don't match. They had no idea on the rear defrost. They were actually really nice and didn't charge me for trying. They also suggested NOT putting a new one ($600+$100flash) in it due to the miles (177,00) and the sound of the engine. Didn't even try to hand me off to sells.

Anyways, it looks like I will be dealing with this until I can trade it in. This is sad, I was hoping the engine would go out so I could replace that, I love my durango. Has had almost zero issues for all 130,00 of the 177000 miles i have had it. But now spending $700 knowing the engine isn't far behind, yikes!

Hope this can help someone in the future. This forum was the biggest help with the problems I had.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

You can get a "pre-flashed" PCM on ebay sent right to your door for direct bolt in for like $200.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:14 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea what hydra said, go to ebay and find a re-seller, they sell them pre-flashed to your VIN and mileage so that you dont have that issue

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango 4.7 started fine but died after turning on heater