1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

not starting, checked everything please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Biff85ta
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first thought on the current problem would be a bad diode in the alternator causing the drain added to a weak noid on the starter. I would start buy checking the voltage drain at the battery with and without the alternator connected. Getting the discharge issue fixed may salve the rest of your problems and may not but I would start there first.

P.S. there is nothing left on or plugged in anywhere on the truck?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thegogofiasco
ok, we swapped the relay for a new one and took it for a drive and it ran completely normal for an entire day. With the new one in, we let it sit over night. The next morning, hubby tries to start it and gets a click on a couple key turns, then he gets a couple "wir" sounds, like it's tryingto turn over, then finally does after a few tries. Now, when we turn the key and let the fuel pump come on, we are having to wait for the amps in the battery to go up before we can crank it. It's almost as if something's draining the battery at night. Turn the key, and it's at about 10 and won't turn over, so we wait unitl it gets to about 12, and then it will give us the "wir", "wir" a couple times, and then she'll start. Next, we're checking the connections.
If the contact the coil on the starter is bad you will get the clicking. This is why I posted that you check these threads. If you take it out of the truck and to Auto Zone, if the contact hits it will show good, but if it hits in the wrong spot (worn spot) then it would show bad. It's a game.

However, you are stating that the battery could be draining. You can confirm this diagnosis by measuring the voltage at the battery using a multi-meter at the battery post and posting your results.

If the brushes are bad then it would do the slow crank. So I advise to check the voltage then just replace the starter or battery.

Originally Posted by sallyskull
Thanks so much everyone. Hydrashocker, I was waiting for you. I've been reading your replies for months on posts like these, and have tried everything you've suggested to other people. Thanks for responding.
Your welcome, and thanks!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:18 PM
thegogofiasco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so it's been a while, but we haven't had any funds to mess around with the durango and buy parts and what-not. We're going this week to buy a meter and also, to see if the diode is bad in the alternator, tonight we're taking it off. Supposedly, if the drain stops, then there's our problem. I've been reading a lot of the same problems on this forum, and that seams like a quick thing we can do ourselves to see if that really is the problem.

Quick Reply: not starting, checked everything please help