1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Reasonably priced mods for better mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoah, wait a sec...

You've got me sold on the programmer, but just "how much" better would you consider the Magnaflow setup to be versus the Flowmaster? It appears to be almost double the price. (634.58 vs. 361.87)

I see that it's 3 inch vs. 2.5 inch on the flowmaster. Isn't the stock exhaust also 2.5 inch, or am I completely off base on that? If so, I'm almost wondering if my best bet, taking price into account, isn't to just go with the Flowmaster muffler and leave the rest of the stock exhaust in place.... (As mentioned, the current muffler is nearing end of life, so I'm going to have to do at least that much in any case.)

Hmm.....

Last edited by coreybv; 01-03-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Well, the stock muffler is huge compared to the flowmaster or MagnaFlow so I'd recommend a cat back replacement either way. The MagnaFlow is 2.5in/3out so you're getting more air flow. Do some research (I haven't done extensive enough) and see which is better for price vs economy help.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Do some research (I haven't done extensive enough) and see which is better for price vs economy help.
Yeah, gonna have to. I have no doubt that 3" will give me better results than 2.5", but I'm going to have to spend a little time digging to figure out if it's "enough" better to justify the price diff....

Appreciate all the help, definitely have me some good things to look at.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-your-rig.html

Originally Posted by coreybv
Yeah, gonna have to. I have no doubt that 3" will give me better results than 2.5", but I'm going to have to spend a little time digging to figure out if it's "enough" better to justify the price diff....
With a 5.9L go to a single 3" CAT back. Most of the time if you know someone that does a good muffler job they can go right off the OEM cat to 3", include a MagnaFlow muffler (I like 24") and 3" single all the way out for a few hundred bucks.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-03-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Also you must take into consideration how long you're going to have your rig... The Magnaflow muffler is made of Stainless Steel as the FlowMaster is made of aluminized steel. As for performance they're both about equal, though Magnaflow claims some more, and the material could be a serious longevity issue.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welp, it is the start of the new year and if my home can hold itself together this year with no outbreak in repairs, I will have my Hughes Edelbrok Airgap F1 intake manifold that got a lot of great reviews installed hopefully no later than late spring.

I want to get those reported MPG increases the owners talked about. As much as 5-7 mpg increase on their Mopar engines.

I am currently hovering 12 mpg mix with 11 city and 14 highway.

Quick Reply: Reasonably priced mods for better mpg?