1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joints

Got some news regarding my ball joints....not as bad as I thought but still need repair. I an honestly say there are 133k+ on them......last night 133,002 in driveway. and yes original joints.....noted by the factory rivets on them. Apparently that VIN wasn't part of the recall and have not been changed since at least DEC 2006. As near as I can tell they were not changed prior to that so I figure original joints from manufacturer date of approximately JUL 2002. I feel they got a good life from them and yes I did observe the mechanic during the inspection so I can verify they were going. The only joint that is technically shot is the Passenger upper.

With that above said, I have two options and for repair.....Sears...... some of you VA/MD forum members might recognize the names for comparision and I will use round numbers in prices.

Prices include alignment and quoted using MOOG Greasable replacement joints. Merchants and Mr. Tire will only quote uppers and lowers.

UPPERS ONLY UPPERS/LOWERS

Sears $500 $700

MERCHANTS: will not quote $900

Mr. Tire XXXXXXXX $1150

Firestone not in area

Goodyear uses Mr. Tire as their contractor and PEPBOYS is definite NO!!!!! Won't even waste my time to call them.......as I said before I wouldnt trust them to put water on a fire.

So basically I did the homework and it sounds obvious to use SEARS, thats pretty much been decided. The question of the eveing is....

Should I get the uppers on both sides now with the alignment then come back in 6000 miles(Right about the time the alignment warranty expires) and replace the lowers and have the alignment checked?

Suck it up now and get all four this way I have a baseline of mileage and only have to get alignment once?

The ball joints must have heard me talking about the new tires..Actually it works out kind of good.....Tires are on sale at Costco, and I can get Ball joints, alignment and tires and if coordinated right....on the same day. With new ball joints and alignment I can get back to Pittsburgh and get tires there or time permitting the tires at Costco tomorrow.

I know my usual practice is to get everything done at the same time but I am using my standard disclaimer about easy to plan with someone elses $$$$ remember also add $725 for the price of 4 Michelin X rads or LTX M/S.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy Hell! This isn't a group decision type of question. For goodness sakes, 15 text messages today my friend on this topic?!?! Holy Hell x 2.

Just get them done if you need them done. As I said today, where ever is easiest for you, the place that you trust and the one that has the least expense is the right answer. All else is a waste of time/breath.

Just be safe, be efficient and get it done. Moog over OEM always. And like I said twice today too, they are ripping you off by at least $300.

IndyD

Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

$500-$700 at sears isn't bad.......IMHO

Look on line parts are about $80 a piece. 80 X 4 = 320 + labor.

The lowers are a beotch to do. Uppers are a piece of cake if you would like to do those. The only thing you really need is basic tools and a grinder.

If you have rivets then they ARE factory installed because even the OEM replaceable kit comes with bolts.

I can walk ya right through the uppers, in fact I took pictures of me doing it for a write up, and couldn't get up off my butt to do the DIY when I come tho think of it.....LMAO

Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Biff85ta
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/Moog-K7392-Upper...item45f78634c1

Moog uppers for $56.41 shipped. You could definately save yourself some coin by doing the uppers on your own.

Quick Reply: Ball joints