1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Durango Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM
chrisb70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Durango Won't Start

Hi, this forum was really helpful before and solved my last problem for a lot less than the dealer so I thought I'd try again. Here's the situation:

I went out to start my car the other day and it seemed like it had only enough juice to make the starter click, but all other lights/dings were OK. The voltmeter was registering about 12V (just on the low side of normal). The battery was 4 years old, so I thought it just couldn't hold enough charge any more to start the car. I got a jump and drove it to work (an hour away). As soon as I turned off the car, I couldn't start it again. Same problem as above. I got a new battery at lunch, but same thing, it wouldn't start on its own but started fine with a jump. When I got home, it got a little more strange. When I had turned the key to the off position, I heard a clicking from behind the glove box, and the lights and radio also were blinking on and off.

By the way, I just replaced the starter a month ago, so that's unlikely. I also don't think it's the alternator because I wouldn't have made it to work if it wasn't charging the battery. I don't have an alarm in the vehicle but it does have a remote starter.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Biff85ta
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your ground connections. A loose ground can cause all sorts of neat electrical issues. Hopefully someone can chime in on locations as I have not have my D that long and haven't been under the hood much as of yet.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check your battery connections first. Ensure they are clean as clean can be.

Next:
Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You have a bad battery, bad starter or bad connection.

Test the voltage with the key in the on position across the batery posts (not terminals) and have someone turn the key to start (engaging the starter) and read the voltage drop across the battery posts (not terminals). If you see it drop down about 1.4 volts or so the solenoid is gone and grounding or bad contacts so you will need a starter. If nothing then it's a bad connection. Check the terminals and connecting points on both ends.
And here is a DIY for replacement of the starter: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-and-5-2l.html

Quick Reply: 1999 Durango Won't Start