1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango killed the radio star

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 PM
DamianDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango killed the radio star

well
my second hand 98 durango slt radio works fine what doesnt work fine is the speakers, all blown and certainly not music to my passengers or my ears

the cd player is also picky about what cds it will play or not play

how expensive and where can i find good speakers and possibly a head set to replace existing
and is it something i can replace or better off getting a pro shop?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:33 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I have bought all my car electronics from crutchfield.com as they have great prices and an excellent customer service.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

crutchfield is a popular option if you are willing to do the install yourself, the speakers can be purchased from the infinity website, if you save the mounting ring from the factory speakers you can use a regular depth speaker, otherwise you will either need to make a new mount, or get the shallow mount speakers and those sound like crap

Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 PM
L7D4N

I placed cheap speakers from AutoZone in my D with the premium Infinity System. I believe the manufacturer was "Dual", however I made sure the ohm and wattage wouldn't undervolt the amp or melt the speakers, and these have been working great for 6+ months now, and I blast the hell out of my stereo on almost a daily basis.

I have also found that you can literally take a cordless drill and go right through the mounting bracket that attaches the factory speaker to the doorr. Just take a small self-tapping screw and go through the plastic casing that attaches to the door. I have yet to have a single water leak, rattle, or otherwise negative impact on anything regarding electrical or bad sound quality from this setup. I did this for all four doors with no issue.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by L7D4N
I placed cheap speakers from AutoZone in my D with the premium Infinity System. I believe the manufacturer was "Dual", however I made sure the ohm and wattage wouldn't undervolt the amp or melt the speakers, and these have been working great for 6+ months now, and I blast the hell out of my stereo on almost a daily basis.

I have also found that you can literally take a cordless drill and go right through the mounting bracket that attaches the factory speaker to the doorr. Just take a small self-tapping screw and go through the plastic casing that attaches to the door. I have yet to have a single water leak, rattle, or otherwise negative impact on anything regarding electrical or bad sound quality from this setup. I did this for all four doors with no issue.
I did that before as well on my old Pathfinder. Was too rushed for time and just opened up the stock speaker housing/grille and ran the wires to the new speakers. Tapped the new speakers into the existing plastic and done. Just had to make sure the correct voltage was set + to +. - to -. BTW, OP, if you decide on new speakers, make sure they're 2 ohms. Some have said 4 ohms work as well.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 AM
L7D4N

The "Dual" speakers I purchased were 4 ohm's, however the wattage was compatible given their higher rating. HERE is the link for the speakers I was referring to. They were $29.99 a pair about 6 months ago, and they still sound great.

Last edited by L7D4N; 01-18-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
moparmuscle
Amateur

go to sonicelectronix.com they have more stuff than crutchfeild and is way cheaper

Quick Reply: Durango killed the radio star