1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rebuilding the 360.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rebuilding the 360.

I am going to rebuild the 360 that came stock in my 1998 Durango SLT 4x4. I need some guidance for laying out my plan.

I do not want to make changes to the stock computer, and I have a Jet Stage II chip installed. (Since 1998.) I have shorty headers and a CAT-back dual exhaust.

How aggressive can I get before the stock computer can't accommodate? Will it handle a simple overbore? More aggressive cam? What was my stock static compression ratio? Will stock heads support 300 BHP? I prefer to keep more TQ than HP.

Here are some ideas that I need suggestions for.

Strip the engine down, have the block bored, new plugs and cam bearings.
Have heads cleaned, new hardware and springs.
Basic rebuild using overbore pistons.
More aggressive cam. (Target 275 - 300 BHP w/ more TQ than HP.)

Thoughts?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
SumAmerican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm gonna plug a site here.. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php those guys are pretty good in my opinion.. they have complete rebuild kits and they will be able to tune the pcm or only modestly work the engine.. i suggest using them but you can find the same services for cheaper..

Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

to let yu know that the 5.9s that are stated that they are at 245 hp are under-rated ...dyno tests have been done on a few 5.9`s and all of them came out just a tad over 300hp ....And now if yu are going to bore it .020 0r .030 or bigger yu might aswell goin farther ......guess it depends on your pocket book/account. `d stay away from Jets plug and play ,,,, get a sct or that type or tuner/programer....once yu go moddified yu want to get all yu can from it so aftermarket programs are good .Do it right the first time take your time , put all good stuff in and yu`ll reap the rewards////

Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yes the stock headers are fine up to around 500 hp but if you have shorty headers I'd say go for it. As for the exhaust, CAT back is the way to go, although dual is mainly for sound, because the single out has more power gains than dual out, its a dyno proven fact unless you were doing true dual.

If it were me and I were replacing the headers I'd do a true dual with 2 CATs and 2 mufflers. I'd also have B&G custom flash your PCM for you as they do a great job and its a true performance tune rather than a simply flash.

JET performance chips are not completely worthless but aren't as great as a performance programmer. I myself have a SuperChips programmer and it does a great job, but like I stated if you were rebuilding and going as far as you are stating you're going.

I'd put on a Fastman TB, personally I have the 52mm and it's an AWESOME throttle body. Along with this I'd do an MSD ignition with performance distributor and MSD 8.5mm wires.

Also, I would do roller rockers as they hold up better and I'd do Mopar Performance valve heads with a higher intake/exhaust.

Just my .02 and hope it helps.

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 01-19-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd do at least 30 over cylinder bore and install flat top pistons if you can.

Roller rockers +1.

Get rid of the Jet chip +3 and get a tuner.

52mm Fastman Throttle Body.

P&P the heads to 2.02 intake & 1.60 exhaust or go Edelbrock or Mopar Performance heads for replacements.

Use MSD components and build your distributor, or go all out with a new one from MSD.

Edelbrock intake or Hughes. I like Edelbrock much better. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-5007852/Application/?query=Make|DODGE

As for caming the motor as well as P&P the heads, I don't think your going to need it and I think that would be too much. So either cam it, or P&P it.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I'd do at least 30 over cylinder bore and install flat top pistons if you can.

Roller rockers +1.

Get rid of the Jet chip +3 and get a tuner.

52mm Fastman Throttle Body.

P&P the heads to 2.02 intake & 1.60 exhaust or go Edelbrock or Mopar Performance heads for replacements.

Use MSD components and build your distributor, or go all out with a new one from MSD.

Edelbrock intake or Hughes. I like Edelbrock much better. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-5007852/Application/?query=Make|DODGE

As for caming the motor as well as P&P the heads, I don't think your going to need it and I think that would be too much. So either cam it, or P&P it.

I'm on a budget, so let's modify the plan, keep it affordable.

Based on some of the above suggestions:

+.030 Bore.
Flat top pistons.
Stock heads W/ 2.02/1.60 valves.
More aggressive cam.

With the overbore and flat top pistons, will the ECU and Jet chip compensate?

Is there room in the chambers to have the stock cylinder heads modified for 2.02/1.60 valves?

I need a tried and trusted suggestion for a slightly more aggressive cam, maybe a Comp grind?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sooper
With the overbore and flat top pistons, will the ECU and Jet chip compensate?
Nope, it'd be like installing a supercharger and never hooking it up.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the 360.