1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

How do you install a mechanical oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 PM
99-durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you install a mechanical oil pressure gauge

I need to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Can I do it so that my stock gauge works along with the new mech. gauge? Is this something that needs professionaly done.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You take out the electric sensor and install the mechanical gauge sensor in the same threaded hole.

As for having 2 sensors in one hole doesn't work out so well, go see an adult movie for the reasoning............It just don't work the right way ya know what I mean?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

LMAO...might I also ask why you want both a mechanical and electrical???

Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 AM
99-durango

Sorry I dont know anything about installing new gauges.
After some research I see that my new gauge comes with fittings and nylon tubing. So those fittings will fit where the electrical sensor is currently?
Also if the hoses and PCV dont fix my oil pressure problem Im gonna do the pump and screen. Can I drop the oil pan without pulling the engine or taking the suspension out? In other words will I be able to get the pan off without taking anything else off? Thank You for your help.

Last edited by 99-durango; 01-20-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You take out the electric sensor and install the mechanical gauge sensor in the same threaded hole.

As for having 2 sensors in one hole doesn't work out so well, go see an adult movie for the reasoning............It just don't work the right way ya know what I mean?
Hey! They get paid good money for that. I remember vanessa Del Rio...... Um... this is a family forum. Never mind!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by 99-durango
Can I drop the oil pan without pulling the engine or taking the suspension out? In other words will I be able to get the pan off without taking anything else off?
Hmm... I just looked in my Haynes manual and it's talking about dropping the exhaust and removing the front axle assembly.

Yikes. That's a much bigger job than any oil pan I've ever removed before...

Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya,

Removing the oil pan is a PITA! Not enough room to drop the pan but it looks like it will. You have to lift the motor or remove the front axle.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:23 AM
99-durango

Yeah I just read the same thing in my haynes manual. Anways I was just thinking ahead. I hope the PCV valve solves my problems. Ill know soon enough. If it comes down to the oil filter, ill pull the engine before I mess with the front axel.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by 99-durango
If it comes down to the oil filter, ill pull the engine before I mess with the front axel.
No, the front axle assembly isn't *that* bad. I've had mine in and out a few times. Much, much easier than yanking the engine. It's not a small job, but if you follow your Haynes manual step by step, it's also not a "huge" job.

If it comes to replacing the oil pump, you're going to be much better off following the manual and dropping the front axle. On most vehicles removing the oil pan is a simple matter of undoing 10 or 12 bolts and just pulling it off. They're usually pretty much out in the open. Sucks that the D has it pinned in there so tight, but I still think it would be silly to pull the engine when there's a much easier way to get at it.

Last edited by coreybv; 01-21-2011 at 04:07 AM.

Quick Reply: How do you install a mechanical oil pressure gauge