1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission left me

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
01 6.3L RT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission left me

Well i should have know this was going to happen, stock trans behind my 408 couldn`t take the 515+ ftlbs,,, . She threw the big c-clip that holds overdrive ,, jamming my shifter ,,the other night . I pulled over because it won`t shift outs 2nd,,,gave a tug on shifter and she broke free,,, leaving me in 1st. I was lucky enough to be close to my trans-guys shop took it to him on friday nite , left it over nite, .We looked at it this morning , found two pieces of the big c-clip and some metal shavings in the pan,, second gear is gone ,,,,,so out she shall come , and a rebuilt into one that can handle all l can throw at her ....another $3000 out the door ,, DAMN MISTRESS, Lesson learned. that was the only part of drivetrain i didn`t beef up!!!!!! duh ,.as Homer says i`m smart,,,,SMRT.....

Old 01-23-2011, 03:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I rebuilt my motor I pulled the trans and T-case out and built em up. Put a nice valve body and a good shift kit like a Transgo in it, however judging from the cost of 3k, I think you are already building it that way.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:07 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Yeah, 3K ought to get you a pretty solid tranny build.

Amazes me how often people will build the crap out of a motor, and then pay no attention to all of the components between the engine and the pavement that have to be able to handle that extra power...

It's one thing I always thought was really cool about the 1st gen 300ZX (I had two). Although they came with a V6, the drivetrain was actually beefy enough out of the box to handle a pretty well built 350 (although it was a very tight squeeze getting it in there....).

Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
coreybv
Veteran

dupe....

Quick Reply: Transmission left me