2001, SLT, Tilt lever removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:24 PM
SteveDB
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001, SLT, Tilt lever removal

Hi all.
I just purchased a 2001 Durango last month and the turn/emergency signal flasher is already going out on it.
I found a copy of the factory manual, and while describes how to remove the steering column cover, it only says to turn the tilt lever counter-clockwise (ccw) and unscrew it, thereby allowing to come off.
I've removed the top of the steering column cover, the bottom panel below the steering wheel, but I cannot figure out how to remove the tilt lever. I've turned it ccw, and there does not appear to be any allowance in the bottom steering column cover to allow it to travel beyond an 1/8 inch of rotation.

On the bottom of the tilt lever, there appears to be 3 small openings, and then one larger opening, which has some kind of tab in it. I've used a narrow, fine blade screwdriver, and shoved it up in the larger opening, but nothing takes place. I.e., it looks kind of like a friction/spring tab which if moved in the right direction, would release a lock mechanism, allowing the lever to come off.
Does anyone know how to remove this lever?
Or-- better yet-- is the turn-signal flasher located somewhere more easily accessible, and if so-- where?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:50 PM
SteveDB
Amateur

well... ok. I figured it out. Turns out the I just had to grip it firmly, and pull straight toward the rear. It came right off in my hand...
Now to just locate the turn signal flasher.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The multi-function flasher is located in the drivers side dash fuse box, not in the column. The only thing in the column is the main switch. The multi-function switch is about $10-$15 bucks at Auto Zone.

If the flashers are not working replace the multi-function switch.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:44 PM
SteveDB
Amateur

Yea, got that. Thanks.
Turns out its hidden real well, not on fuse block. Was moved in 2001. It's underneath the dash, to left of brake pedal, and right of parking brake lever.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it was moved......sorry

But glad you found it!

Quick Reply: 2001, SLT, Tilt lever removal