1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Bubbling noise from engine area

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To test to see if the water pump is running, take off the top radiator cap and start the engine. Once it gets to adequate temperature you will see the fluid start flowing. If it doesn't flow, water pump time!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

I think its more then a water pump at this point

Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 PM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie

i already told you what it is.. trust me i just went threw all of the things the other folks are trying to help you with.... you need to go have your head gaskets replaced and also since the truck has been overheating the heads are definatly warped now.. but they will fix that when you get the head gaskets done... once they pull everything off they will send the heads to a shop to get machined... that will get them flat again.. dunno if your intial problem was bad gaskets or warped heads.. my truck had the samne exact problem .. i would burp the truck over and over again AND THE AIR BUBBLES WOULD NEVER GO AWAY.... also the truck would over heat all the time just like yours..... it is going to cost you around 1300 to 1500 bucks to get it fixed depending on where you take it... i found a mechanic that does work on the side so i got my head gaskets and machined the heads for 1100.. that is what is wrong with your truck... if you wanna make sure i am right... take your truck to a shop and have them test the coolant while its running to see if there is exaughst gas in there that will tell you. i am sure that is what your problem is.. i went threw all the same stuff you are.. my truck is running fine now

Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
GinainIL

Well Hillbilly, I wasn't dismissing your first diagnosis, I was just really hoping that wasn't the case. Unfortunately today I bit the bullet and brought it in to a shop.
Diagnosis:
Blown Head Gasket which is also causing a cylinder to misfire.
I sincerely hoped that wasn't it, but the tore it down and blew it out?!? and thats what they found.
Problem is, this truck is getting traded in within the next 6 months and I HATE to put more money into it.. My bro who owns a dodge truck and does all his own repairs said he can replace the gasket for very cheap. For now the truck is getting parked in the garage and I'm using my brothers car until I decide.
On a positive note, they didn't charge me to diagnose it....

Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Oy ve! Great call HILLBILLY! LOL

Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 PM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie

im sorry to hear that.. what kind of vehical are you getting next ??? are we going to hear from you again ?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 PM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie

by the way if you are going to fix the gaskets.. get the timings chains and tensioners done too because those will be the next to go.. your truck will start to have a horriable ticking noise in the motor compartment..... and for them to fix it they gotta pull all the stuff off they did to do the gaskets.... there is a kit for the chains and tensioners for 350 bucks...i found out the hard way cuz when i got my truck back the tensioners went bad very shortley after and it was back in the shop again... if your are going to trade it in fast you could probley get away with just doing the gasket job...

Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 AM
GinainIL

Well, I doubt we will pay to get it fixed. I reallllllyyy love the new Durango, but I'm really scared to buy another dodge with all the problems this truck has had.. As it sits right now, I have check engine light on (low evap pressure), abs and break light on (right front sensor is open), now head gaskets... Just last year I replaced blower motor, window regulator, battery, and speed sensor. The truck has 78,000 miles on it....

Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I'm sorry to hear that it sounds like it was abused before you bought it. Mine has 126,600 miles on it and have only replaced the battery, O2 sensors, shocks, and fluid changes.

Quick Reply: Bubbling noise from engine area