1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'98 throwing codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '98 throwing codes

So, the check engine light came on this morning. I took it to advance auto and got the codes read... it's throwing 2 codes... P1757 and P0783

What do the codes mean? where should i start to correct the problem?

truck is a '98 with 5.2l

Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydra has a nice code list at the stickies on the top of the forum:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ine-light.html

Yours are both tranny related:
P0783 3-4 Shift Sol, No RPM Drop at Lockup
P1757 Gov Press above 3 PSI in gear with 0 MPH

Is it shifting OK?

Bob

Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the P0783 basically it's saying that your torque converter is not locking up correctly and with the P1757 it's saying the governor pressure solenoid is too high at idle. The governor pressure solenoid regulates governor pressure when it shifts from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

First start by replacing the fluid in the transmission with some nice clean ATF +4 and replacing the filter. Check to make sure there's no metal scraps in the pan (with that code don't be surprised to find some) and you may also want to replace the governor pressure sensor. If that doesn't fix it, could be either the valve body or internal damage to the transmission.

With the combined codes, I'm guessing the fluid change will fix the problem. When was the last time the fluid was changed and was ATF +4 put back in the system?

Old 04-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
With the P0783 basically it's saying that your torque converter is not locking up correctly and with the P1757 it's saying the governor pressure solenoid is too high at idle. The governor pressure solenoid regulates governor pressure when it shifts from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

First start by replacing the fluid in the transmission with some nice clean ATF +4 and replacing the filter. Check to make sure there's no metal scraps in the pan (with that code don't be surprised to find some) and you may also want to replace the governor pressure sensor. If that doesn't fix it, could be either the valve body or internal damage to the transmission.

With the combined codes, I'm guessing the fluid change will fix the problem. When was the last time the fluid was changed and was ATF +4 put back in the system?
Fluid and filter where changed about a month and a half ago.... i took the truck to the store this afternoon and the codes cleared and the light went out... i did notice a few days ago when i was trucking down the highway at 65 mph the rmp's would be sitting about 2000 and would race up to about 2500-3000 and then after a few seconds would come back down to about 2000 again...

Old 04-25-2011, 01:55 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you're not accidentally driving with O/D off when you don't have to. Basically overdrive is the torque converter lockup gear and if it cleared itself I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Make sure you're not accidentally driving with O/D off when you don't have to. Basically overdrive is the torque converter lockup gear and if it cleared itself I wouldn't worry about it.

i never drive with o/d off but, ill double check it.. im going to keep a close eye on it for a few days to see if i notice anything and if i get the codes back.. i do know that im seriously in need of a tune up just need to scrape up the money...

Quick Reply: '98 throwing codes