1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 durango r/t shaking intermittingly

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
CP.reaper911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 durango r/t shaking intermittingly

I have a 2001 r/t that shakes intermittingly at about 35-45. I was told that this could be spark plug wires and cap and rotor. I was also told that both front cv joints were bad. I had a guy hook up a computer and he said that I had a loop in the engine. His computer said that 2, 3, 5, 8 were misfiring at idle speed. But when we took it out for a drive, no major misfire. The truck runs fine under normal conditions, and just does it once in a while. Also, some times when we are sitting at stop sign and then hit the gas to go, the truck kind of pops into drive and goes, is this the cv joints?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 PM
CP.reaper911
Default 2001 durango r/t shaking intermittingly

I have a 2001 r/t that shakes intermittingly at about 35-45. I was told that this could be spark plug wires and cap and rotor. I was also told that both front cv joints were bad. I had a guy hook up a computer and he said that I had a loop in the engine. His computer said that 2, 3, 5, 8 were misfiring at idle speed. But when we took it out for a drive, no major misfire. The truck runs fine under normal conditions, and just does it once in a while. Also, some times when we are sitting at stop sign and then hit the gas to go, the truck kind of pops into drive and goes, is this the cv joints?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:18 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When was the last time you did a tune up and what exact parts did you use?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! Check out our Durango Section!!

Dusty

Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM
CP.reaper911

I just changed the spark plugs about 3 weeks ago. and had not done nothing since due to being out of town on business. Seems to do it more when it has been wet out. I need to do a tune up, no really sure what I need to do. I have worked on trucks, but always with direction. what else do you advise to do?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the first generation Durango section,
FF

Old 05-10-2011, 11:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What I stated was, "I need to know the exact part you used"?

You should have used the cheap Champion Copper spark plugs and gaped them at .040

Te next thing I would tell you is to remove the Throttle Body and clean that thing completely out! Regardless, you should reset the PCM on each thing.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace cap, rotor and plug wires.

NAPA Echlin cap and rotor, any good plug wire however I would use Mopar Performance ones for your stocker setup.

Also, what plugs did you use? Let's hope they don't have the word "Platinum" in the kind.

IndyDurango

Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 PM
CP.reaper911

I believe they were Bosch Platnium, I will have to get home to check. I will follow your advise and get the copper if they are not. I will also get cap/rotor, wires, and clean the throttle body. While I have it off, what does anybody know about these throttle body spacers? Do they work??
Also, it was said that I need to reset the PCM after each time I do something? Can I do this without a computer hooked up, and how?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 PM
neilb
Professional

Hi, pretty new here myself, been on a couple of months now, and I have to say I find LOTS of information on the D by using the forum search function when I have a little spare time in the evening, most of my questions have already been answered, and I end up learning about things I would have never thought to ask about.
One of the things I learned is that throttle body spacers are a waste of time and money with our trucks, I also learned that platinum plugs will cause lots of problems before I went out and spent money on them, but when you get your initial problem sorted out you may want to read up on the sticky about DIY cold air intakes , how cheap it is to make one, and what it will do. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2001 durango r/t shaking intermittingly