1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Warning Light Causes. (ABS & BRAKE)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by coloradical
If the speedo is non-functional below 20mph, does this possibly narrow down which sensor it could be?
Most likely your problem is the ABS/Speed sensor on top of the rear differental.

There is also the transmission output sensor on the drivers side, mid way, on the side of the transmission, but I would do the rear diff first.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Most likely your problem is the ABS/Speed sensor on top of the rear differental.

There is also the transmission output sensor on the drivers side, mid way, on the side of the transmission, but I would do the rear diff first.

I got both, but I was going to change them one at a time starting with the rear end.

I'll post back with my results...I should have time tomorrow morning.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 05-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up doing this last night. The Wife went out for drinks with some friends so I got dirty in the garage. *Winner*

The nut and the stud were easy. The pigtail was easy. The metal guard was easy.

What sucked was when the sensor broke off in the diff hole.

I carefully worked at it like a blind person using only my fingers and an awl to loosen it and get it out.

The other issue was that the new sensor was 180 degrees different, meaning the pigtail was now facing the other side...this only meant that I couldn't reinstall the metal guard and that I had to reroute the wiring and pigtail so I had a bit more slack.

While under the back I also saw that one of my heat shields had rotted a little bit around the bolts and it was flapping up and down. I removed the bolts, installed some washers under the bolts, and the shields are now back up in place as they should be.

Everything else looked good so I fired it up for a test.

NO MORE WARNING LIGHTS !!!

Success. It was the rear end sensor. I'll keep the transmission sensor just in case...might change it for giggles but all is well and finally the lights are out.

This actually kind of pisses me off because that damn turd of a tech at Dodge told me it was the control module. Thank god I didn't spend a $375 on a new unit, but I did waste $100+ having my control module rebuilt...only to find out it didn't change anything.

Oh well. All is well, and thanks to everyone. Your advice turned this project into a 100% success.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

glad we could help, and thanks for letting us know what the solution was.

The following users liked this post:
Dharmadodge (10-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Warning Light Causes. (ABS & BRAKE)