1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM
perkins79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling Issue

OK, lets start at the beginning. A couple months ago I noticed a little mis in the engine when accelerating. I had this problem twice before and it was just time for a routine tune up. I changed the plugs. Two weeks later I changed the wires, cap and rotor. All it did was make the miss worse. I brought it in and they changed an injector, this did not help at all. I still have the miss, happens when going up hills, full tank or half tank of fuel it doesnt matter. I went to start it yesterday, dead battery. Swapped out the battery, tested the alternator which is putting out 14V. Now when I start it the start is real quick and the RPM's drop down to about 200 and almost stalls. If I give it a quick shot of gas and let go the truck stalls out... Any ideas? I have a few thoughts running through my head but would like to see what feedback I get before saying anything as to not lean the advice one way or the other. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM
justin101
Rookie

I had the same problem(not the miss firing) and I replaced the IAC and it fixed it. Only 30 bucks too.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Assuming you checked your air filter and made sure it doesn't have a rats nest and tons of debris, I'd say justin got you in the right direction. At first when I was reading I thought, no it couldn't be the IAC but later on I conclude that it is either the Intake Air Control valve (IAC) or the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). They are both like $25 IIRC from any auto parts store and are where I'd start off with first.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

as long as the battery you swapped into it was new i agree with the IAC diagnosis, try holding the throttle open just a little bit until you ease it down to an idle, should be doable with the right touch and enough patience (at least thats what my dak did when the IAC was bad)

Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 PM
perkins79

Just wanted to thank you guys for the advice. I finally got around to replacing the IAC sensor and it seems to be running much better than it was. No short starts and no idle dropping. Thanks again! Im sure I will be back soon with some other Durango related headache!

Quick Reply: Stalling Issue