1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission torque managment

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:08 PM
tmdairy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission torque managment

ME: So i recently suffered a loss in horsepower it seams after i had my D at the trasmission shop becasue it was having problems and the adjusted the govener pressure or something like that for the trasmission so idk if that would have an effect on it and i heard the plenum gasket could cause power loss if it is bad so i checked that sense i have high miles and this is what i found. just one little pool of what looks like burnt oil. so is it good and something else wrong? or what else could cause my power loss? When i put it to the floor it dosent rev as high ether before it shifts only like 4000rpm. What could be wrong?

Hydrashocker: It looks like the Plenum gasket is fine.

It sounds like the transmission work that you had done has changed the torque managment. What I'm talking about is the slight rev up over the transmission turning. Basically the engine is turning about 300-400 RPMs faster than the output of the transmission. It really is a bit of a slip, but anyway the factory but's torque management into the PCM so that the driver gets nice clean shifts but on the down side it warms the trans up because it is actually slipping.

When you depress the Overdrive button on the shifter, it locks up the torque convertor so it removes torque management, but it also locks out the overdrive gear. This is why it is better for towing because there is no extra slipping and no overdrive to heat it up.

So it sounds like they have changed this torque management to the lesser of what it used to be by adjusting the valve body, psi, or govener.

Anyway this transmission talk is "off topic" so we really need to start a new thread if you wish to talk about it.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 PM
tmdairy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is any of this harmful to my transmission? How can i change it back by my self? I figured out they changed the govener pressure.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The harm during Torque Management is because of the slipping between gears, so slowing this down or eliminating it between shifts is your best bet.

They have most likely changed parameters in your computer (PCM) and may have modified your fluid pressures to elevate the effects. Only a shop with a DRBII machine can do this. Now manual fluid pressure “upping” is done in the solenoids, but I am unsure exactly how they do it other than using the DRBII but it can be done.

To lessen the delay in the shift a shift kit can be installed, but I wouldn't do this on a worn transmission as it most likely couldn't handle it.

What I would do is take it back to them and discuss the issues you now face.

Quick Reply: Transmission torque managment